43 - Young and Beautiful

Emily's jogs had become a regular habit once again now and she was glad for that. She felt like she was finally getting into the shape she wanted to be in for her swimming season. On early Saturday night, she plugged in her earphones and exited her house.

She took off running, light on her feet, listening to an upbeat song she thought she had lost in her music library. Her feet took her around the neighborhood freely as she ran. She never really had a planned route whenever she went jogging, she would just wing it and go with the moment.

When she found herself reaching Alison and Spencer's street, she rolled her eyes at her own obviousness and predictability. She looked out to the distance and when she saw someone sitting on the steps of the DiLaurentis' front porch, she frowned faintly, but as she came closer, she couldn't help but release a small smile.

She stopped her running and walked up to the familiar steps, taking out her earphones and adjusting her breathing.

Alison was simply sitting there, staring hazily into the distance, her eyes unfocused.

The brunette wandered over to the bottom of the steps, Alison only then noticing her. "Hey, Em," her girlfriend broke into a little grin, but it was gone as soon as it came.

"Hey," Emily sat down next to her on the top step, looking at her with interest. "What are you doing out here?" she asked.

Alison turned to look at her, shrugging, "I just wanted to think. I usually go to the woods when I want to be by myself and think, but Mrs. Harper kicked my ass at PE today so I didn't really feel like walking. I think she's still upset over us flirting in class. I call that being petty."

Emily gave her a lopsided amused grin. Her face shifted back to a curious expression as she realized she might be intruding on the blonde's private moment, "D-Do you want me to leave you alone, or-"

"No," Alison gently said, shaking her head.

Emily nodded in understanding. "What are you thinking about?"

"I..." Alison trailed off, not even knowing how to continue her thought. "It's nothing," she shook her head slightly, looking at the ground.

Emily's raised her eyebrow, not believing her. "Of course it's not nothing. If you came out here just to think it must mean something."

"Emily..." Alison sighed, looking away.

"You know you can tell me anything," Emily placed her hand on Alison's, her caring expression making the blonde smile a bit despite herself.

"I know. It's not that, it's...." Alison tried to find the right words but came out short and exhaled powerlessly. She took one more look at Emily who was staring right at her, an inquisitive frown settled upon her facial features. She licked her lips nervously and swallowed, "Promise me you won't laugh?"

Emily tilted her head, "Ali-"

"Promise me." she repeated in a serious voice.

"I would never laugh at you," Emily said softly, "you know that."

Alison nodded slowly, turning back to look at the gravel because she couldn't talk about this while staring into Emily's eyes. "W-Why wasn't I punished?"

Emily lifted her gaze up to her in surprise, "What?"

"You know, like, in movies and TV shows, how the bad person always gets punished and then, sometimes, their life becomes better. I didn't get punished, Em. I got you, I got our friends, my family. An amazing life. So why didn't I get punished first? I can't help but think karma's going to come back and bite me in the ass when I'm at my lowest."