Underground world part 1

Noise erupted in the underground caverns; from the quiet peaceful night rose many loud bangs and the kind of screams that cut through the darkness like butter, soul piercing, gut wrenching screams. Cries for children, friends, lovers… Many went unanswered.

Fluk heard a strange hissing, not like any animal she’d ever heard. She saw a vague fog coat the ground. ‘Their trying to poison us!’ she quite correctly guessed. She ran to her ‘house’ which was not far away, she soon came across the largish underground cave with a door. She ran in grabbing the few things she knew she would need: A dark torch, her favourite book (the geology of stalagmites and stalactites), a letter from her father, and some emergency food most of these things were already placed in her special emergency rucksack

She pulled her black turtle neck over her mouth and nose and was about to sprint out the door when she remembered her small colony of about five bats, she looked to them, they were frantic, all too aware of the commotion outside. She opened the door and they flew out as fast as they could. The smoke had started to rise up to the house, one of the bats (her favourite, Fliwin) had stayed with her and his claws were now firmly dug into her shoulder as he relaxed his feet. She went to the back of the house, her father had built an emergency passage just in case such an occasion had occurred and for some great emergency someone would need quick access to ‘the surface’.

She clambered through the small and steep tunnel at the back of the house, coughing as she did so. Then after what seemed a life time she saw a burning light, it seeped through the cracks in the ‘top door’ that lead to the earth above. She pressed her hands against it; she held her knees and feet as firmly as she could on the sides of the sloping tunnel so she didn’t fall back down. With effort she shifted the heavy wood from above her and as she did do she was blinded be the brilliance of the suns. Blinking and scrambling out of the tunnel, Fluk was a little safer (not including the fact that she could no longer see). She felt with her hands for the wood cover of the tunnel and sealed it off. She took of her rucksack and rummaged for what she wanted, the dark torch! Like a surface dweller being in an underground cave, they are overwhelmed by the chill, the blinding darkness; Fluk was overwhelmed by the unnerving warmth, the high intensity of natural light she was not accustom to even though it was a fairly grey and breezy day.

She found comfort in the darkness the torch gave out, she could see in its shadow the rustling trees, the apple blossoms and the long grass. All things she was not used to. Fliwin was asleep; she did not have to look to know for the dangling mass that had displaced the sleeve of her jumper was proof enough. If Fliwin was dead calm then so should she be, they were safe enough here in the light.

Then came the next challenge, finding her mother and her younger brother but the sign of the sleeping bat was security enough for her. She was away from the commotion and knowing her family Tay and Requ would be well enough prepared.

But she couldn’t help but jump when the wind whipped through her hair.

Another not very happy story, there should be more to come for this story although it might be based more on some other characters. Sorry for the unimaginative name. If you spot any flaws please say :) enjoy reading, vote, comment et cetera. Btw this is not related to 'the kingdom above' (the first chapter in this book of stories).