Chapter 9 -- An experiment gone wrong

Start from the beginning

"What size are you?" He asks me and I look up to meet his eyes.

"What?" My eyebrows furrow at the question.

Owen sighs, "What size pants are you? This will go faster if we both look. I don't want anyone I might know to catch us together."

My eyes light up in surprise, "Who do you know that would be up at seven a.m. in a small vintage shop?"

He mumbles something under his breath, but I can't make it out.

I look up at the television screen to see the news has come back on. A red line with white print streams across the bottom of the screen, alerting the community about something. Typically this is used to inform us of inclimate weather or breaking news.

My eyes catch the name Rapid Glare, and it dawns on me that I'm the breaking news.

I make my way over to the television and stare up at it in a daze. Suddenly, Jonas, Ash, and Mason appear on the screen, all in custom outfits. They seem to be in a news studio. Ash must've worked fast to get hers and Mason's new suits done. She's added some flourishes to Jonas's suit and they all have solid black masks.

Owen walks up beside me and turns to ask the sales clerk to turn up the volume. I'm stunned to my core. They're all there, together, looking like a well organized group.

"Well no one knows for sure where she's run off to, but we want to see her back as much as everyone else. The town isn't complete without her." Mason answers a question I didn't get to hear.

Another news reporter asks in a panic, "Do you think Rapid Glare is in trouble?" The middle aged lady places her hands on the top of the long cedar wood table. Several other news anchors lean in for answers.

Ash speaks up, "We're on the case. Believe me, we're doing everything in our power to keep the town safe until we find her."

Jonas' face is the one I watch closely. His expression is solemn, like he's sad and hurt. I would be too if I thought he ran away with no explanation. That's what the note told them. A knot forms in my stomach.

"Can you give the citizens any piece of advice to stay safe during this tragic time?"

Tragic time?

Jonas answers, "We're tracking down Trident for everything he's done. We've got the situation under control. We're here to help anyone in need."

I look over at Owen and take a step back. He's Trident. What have I gotten myself into?

I'm about to make a break for the exit when Owen grabs my wrist. His eyes give me a warning glare and a panic rises in my chest. Run, Della, run! My conscience is screaming at me to leave but I physically can't. Maybe Owen has super strength that I cannot escape. He mouths my name and his hazel eyes plead with me.

Owen leads me back into the dressing room area and releases my hand. I'm at the point I'm almost hyperventilating. I trust Owen, don't I? Then what is he being hunted for doing?

"Hey," He whispers to me, attempting to grab my hands in his. He repeats the word 'hey' over and over until I finally look him in the eyes.

"You know I have to play the part," is all he says.

I open my mouth to speak but he cuts me off, "I didn't kill anyone. I'll tell you everything later, but right now you need to pick out some clothes and we need to get you to Drake's. Are you still with me?"

My breathing hitches but I nod my head. If my friends are against this guy, should I really entrust my life with him?

I look him dead in the eyes, "What are your powers?"

He looks around, weary of our surroundings. "I'll tell you later."

"No. Now. If you want me to trust you, I need to know what you're capable of." I stand my ground, but I won't let him see my hands shaking as I ball them into fists.

He sighs, "I can fly," I nod for him to continue, but he shakes his head. "That's it, I only have one power. My mom wasn't a super, remember?"

"But you're not telling me the whole story." I whisper harshly.

He squints his eyes and pulls on his hair, "I'm being honest."

"No! You're not!" I snap angrily.

"Fine!" He almost yells, then his voice softens, "I'm an experiment gone wrong. I was part of Mickey and Thomas' plan originally and they tested the machine to give me powers.  I got the worst power I know in my family's history."

He takes a deep breath, "I have pyrokinesis." My mind scrambles. The ability to control and emit fire. Why is that so bad? That's when the news hits me.

Owen was the one responsible for all the fires in town.

A/N
Guys I'm super sorry (lol get it?) for being so late on the updates. It's a crazy time of year for me so I ask that you keep being patient with me. You guys are lovely readers who don't even demand updates and that just leaves me so thankful. I'm also sorry that this isn't a very long chapter.

With that being said, anyone have any comments or questions? We finally got a glimpse of Jonas, Ash, and Mason... What do y'all think about their accusations against Owen/Trident? Do you think Della should trust him?

Thanks for reading!
Always, Sunny