On the dragons' backs, the humans muttered curses, trying to steer each dragon away from Rutilus. More and more dragons were flying into the air, all with humans on their back, until only Soriak watched on anxiously from below.

Dragons surrounded Rutilus, all very much against their will. They drew closer to him, no matter how much he lashed or breathed fire at them. Now recovered from their shock, the humans were ready to capture him.

There was no way I would not let that happen.

I turned towards Raegon, knowing that he knew what I wanted.

"Go," the Black Beast dipped his head, giving his approval for me to join the fight. 

That was all I needed to hear before I raced into the air. Few humans noticed me as I lunged closer, presuming that I was just another dragon flying up in the sky and helping them capture Rutilus.

Taking advantage of their ignorance, I drifted closer to a bronze drake. The human on his back was staring intently at Rutilus, failing to notice me as my talons grasped the ring that controlled the dragon's tail.

Almost immediately, the bronze drake flinched, whipping his head around. It was only when he saw me that he relaxed, his green eyes brightening with hope. Scratching at the ring, it became increasingly obvious that I'd need to use fire to melt it off.

Reaching for the warmth in my throat, I watched as the human on the bronze dragon's back turned around, his face whitening in horror. He yelled in alarm, attracting the attention of other humans even as fire shot out of my jaws, melting the metal ring the human used to control the drake's tail fin.

His green eyes widened even further, before trumpeting joyously. Straight away, he shot higher into the air, snapping at the human on his back furiously.

Pleased, I glanced around, only to see a dozen of dragons surrounding me, each controlled by humans. A low growl rumbled in my throat. If only the human didn't shout and alert everyone to my presence.

Not that it mattered. They'd quickly find out regardless.

A low bellow echoed across the fields as Raegon soared out towards me, deeming it time to join the fight himself.

"Another one?" A human exclaimed, his jaw dropping in disbelief.

"Aye, its that damn Black Beast," another human grumbled, clearly not happy to see the big dragon joining in the fight.

More fire shot out of my jaws, as I attempted to melt the metal ring controlling a turquoise dragon's tail fin. This time, it didn't work - the dragon twisted around, swinging her tail out of the way just in time.

She snarled in frustration, trying to resist the human on her back. Yet despite her efforts, she drifted closer to me, like the dozen dragons. Talons raked against my flank, and whipped around, desperately trying to fend off each dragon. But they kept coming - all of them reluctant and not wanting too, but attacking me nonetheless.

Blood dribbled down my scales. Frustrated, I breathed fire. The humans jerked back, using the dragon they rode as a shield against the flames. Snarling, I lunged towards the turquoise dragoness's human, when a powerful weight slammed into me.

Grunting, I tried to wriggle free of the strong grasp. But the dragon's talons only dug into my scales, drawing blood. Hissing in annoyance, I craned my neck, glimpsing my attacker. A large dark grey drake, whose icy blue eyes glittered reluctantly.

Heart thrumming against my ribs, I glanced across the sky. Dragons were swarming Raegon, and although he was batting them away and snapping at others, they were gaining on him. Even Rutilus was still overwhelmed, desperately breathing fire.

A human scream was cut, incinerated by the red and gold drake's fire. But even with the newly released dragons joining in on the fight, it was only a matter of time before they captured us, and we'd be subject to a life of slavery once more.

No. My heart stumbled, and I fought with renewed determination. I was a dragon, not a slave! Never would I bow down to a human - especially now, when I was supposed to be saving the dragons.

Snapping my fangs, and slashing my fangs at the dark grey dragon, I tried to fight back. From the corner of my eyes, I could see some of the dragons fly towards Rutilus and Raegon, while only a few followed the us. Gritting my teeth, I spat fire at them, hoping to at least make the humans jerk. Startled yelps surrounded me, as well as some whimpers. Humans muttered under their breath, shouting commands to the dragons, trying to get away from the sizzling silver flames shooting towards them.

But... no matter what I did, they kept coming. And that was without the dark grey dragon pushing me towards the ground, his talons raking across my flank. Heart thundering, I growled quietly. Kronx had been right. Coming here was too dangerous. As a result of trying to save the others, I'd only be captured again.

Somewhere in the sky, a dragon roared ferociously. For a second, I faltered. It sounded strangely familiar, but I shook my head. Of course it was familiar; I was now around dragons I'd known my entire life.

Smoke coiling out of my jaws, I lashed out at the dark grey dragon. Tail lashing, I craned my neck, snapping at him furiously. He hissed in annoyance as I snapped at his scales. Twisting myself around, my talons lashed at his underbelly, drawing blood.

Crying out, his grip on me vanished, leaving me plummeting towards the ground on my own. Spreading my wings, I caught the wind, flying over the fields. Dragons swooped after me, and I growled in frustration. Pulling myself higher into the air, I raced away from them, even as another earsplitting roar shook the air.

Paying it no heed, I climbed higher into the air, above the other dragons. A massive dark blue dragon swooped beneath me, sending the dragons chasing me scattering. I blinked, peering at the dark blue drake.

Piercing silver eyes met mine. My heart skipped a beat.

Never would I have thought that he'd follow us, even if he knew where I was going.

But hovering beneath me, was none other than Kronx.

*~*

1652 words

I'll try to get chapter 39 out tomorrow. Hopefully you can wait until then! XD

Please do drop a vote and comment if you enjoyed!