Vampire's Hostage, Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I was back in my cell.

I was uncomfortable, I was angry and I was utterly confused.

“Does Jace have some bipolar disorder?” Kate asked me after I’d told her about what happened back at the palace.

Now, Kate would not usually be the first person I’d seek council in at a time like this, but Joyce was not in any state to help. Kate was much more strong willed than her, and she, though in pain, can still push though.

Also; Kate had a way of slapping me in the face with harsh reality, she was good at not sugar coating things.

“I honestly don’t know” I confessed capping the thermos of soup Jace had left me and rolling it under the gate between us. “But Jace just lost his mate remember?  And then I just show up, and he starts having all these feelings for me, and dreams are shared and no one knows what’s happening because it’s never happened before.”

“So just because he’s confused he’s got the right to be an ass?” she asked.

“Well no…”

“So, are you going to keep moping or are you going to try to figure out a way to get us all out of here?”

“Uhh,” I was stuck. I didn’t know if I should lie and or just tell the truth, it was bound to come out sooner or later. Truth, I decided, was the best idea. “I was actually thinking I’d find a way to help you escape, but I’d rather stay…”

Kate scoffed. “Please, you’d rather stay? And what, either let Jace love you till he kills you or turn into a blood sucker yourself and live in sadness when you realize you’ll have to use the next generation of feeders too?”

“I have no other choice.” I said cringing at the truth behind her harsh words.

“Pull your head out of your ass. You have a choice. What about college? Or university? What about life, what about your family! What about coming back to the real world and being a normal human. For shit sake what about prom? You’re going to be prom queen and graduate head of the class and –" she stopped suddenly. She squinted really hard at me.

“Did you always have a lip piercing?”

My hand flew to my bottom lip. “What are you talking about I don’t have a – that has nothing to do with this conversation. I don’t care about my old life, it’s gone. Kate when you get out of here, tell them I died. Tell them the vampires killed me the first night. That’s when my whole life changed.”

“Holly don’t do this! You idiot, don’t give up on your life! You can’t! What can that vampire possibly give you? Tell me, can he give you your family; can he give you your friends? Can he love you as a human? Does he love you at all or is it just your blood?”