Chapter 2-Meeting Cliffe

Picture of Cliffe

Vail's POV

Vail glared at the little girl in front of him. "I'm here because your fucking little daddy decided that he wanted to get arrested for drug handling and get me stuck with your loud, shitty mouth."

"tsk, tsk. Is that how you should talk to a little 10 year old girl?" A deep voice sounded out from behind her. 

Vail glanced up from her to see a pale face with emerald green eyes and a shock of black hair in his face. "Who the hell are you?"

"I'm Heathcliffe. Call me Cliffe. Pleasure to meet you." He held out his hand, but Vail just stared at it. After a few akward seconds, he put down his hand. "I'm here to drop off Echo."

Vail raised one eyebrow in his attempt to look surprised. Really, he wasn't. He opened his mouth to say something when Echo chirped up. "Can we go in first?"

He sighed and opened the door wider and stepped aside just in time to see another little girl walk, more like skip, into the room. He mentally facepalmed himself. Great. More kids.

Cliffe POV

 He almost smiled when he saw the look of frustration on the guy's face. Melody and Echo were quite a loud duo.

Cliffe strolled on in before the guy shut the door in his face. In the short time that Heathcliffe had known him, it was obvious that he had some anger issues.

"Sooo, What's your name?" The guy was scowling at the two little girls that were watching Spongebob Squarepants on the T.V. At his voice, he turned around and looked at him.

For the first time, Cliffe could get a good look at him. He looked pale. Even paler than Cliffe, and that was something. He almost looked sick.

His eyes were black. Almost as if you could drown in the depths of them. His hair was also black and was neatly tied back in a ponytail. It made him look more sophisticated than Cliffe himself.

 He looked hot, basically.

"Vail." Cliffe shot back to the present when he heard his voice. "Vail, huh? That's a weird name."

"So's Heathcliffe." Vail shot back at him. He didn't look very happy. Cliffe smiled and strolled into the kitchen. It looked very neat and tidy. He sat down on a stool and looked back to see that Vail had followed him in the kitchen.

"What's your relationship with Echo?" He was curious. He couldn't be too important since Echo had never mentioned him at all. From what he could tell, Blade was Echo's father, and Vail had some sort of close relationship with Blade since he actually dared to curse him.

Cliffe had met Blade before, and it hadn't been a happy meeting. The guy was very intimidating with a broad structure and giant muscles. His tattoos and glaring eyes hadn't helped.

The guy was like a monster, but Echo hadn't seemed to care that everyone was avoiding her dad. She'd just skipped over and smiled at Melody.

Vail looked at him before heading over to the stove and pulling some kind of lasagna out of it.

"I'm her uncle. Not that she calls me that anyways." Cliffe raised an eyebrow. There had actually been several complaints from teachers saying that she didn't respect them. When he voiced that out loud, Vail snorted. 

"That would be her." He was about to say something else when Echo bounced into the room along with Melody.

"Hey, Dipshit. Is that our food?" Her language was coarse as usual. When Cliffe looked at Vail, he was surprised to find that he didn't seem unhappy that she greeted him like that. he did however glance at Melody and say, "Do you speak like that too?"

Melody beamed and shook her head no. Vail sighed and pulled out a couple of plates. They sat down to eat when the phone rang.

Vail groaned and stood up again. When he answered the phone, however, his expression changed to one of blankness. Then he sighed and said, "Well, shit. I'm going. I'm going."

Then phone clicked shut and he looked at Cliffe, who was wondering what happened. "Watch Echo." is what he said. Then he promptly walked out and left the apartment.

A silence fell over the three still sitting. "Well, then. Looks like I'm watching you for now."