Chapter 15: Pep Talk

[published October 9th 2017]

Sorry for going so long without updating, I have a serious case of writer's block TwT So if anyone has any ideas, please tell me, I'm open to anything! ^^

----

"Why do we even take these stuff?" Grayson asked as he grabbed one of the small flasks of purple liquid. 13 of them had been lying on a tray that was pushed through a small opening in the door. He downed the flask, scrunching his nose at the bitter taste before throwing the empty flask back on the tray.

"Yeah, how do we know that crazy bitch isn't just feeding us poison?" Sophie asked as she downed her own flask, dropping it back on the tray when she was finished.

"Ruby said we'd die without even a day of these yucky flasks, and I don't know about you guys but I don't wanna risk that," Victor said as he grabbed one of the flasks. "We need to be all 24 of us to wake up queen Claireen and save Zodiac."

"Why are we doing all that anyway?" Sam asked, causing everyone to look over at her. She was sitting in the corner, twiddling a small rock in her fingers. She looked up, feeling everyone's gaze on her.

"What?" She asked. "We never asked to be heroes anyway."

"Sam..." Parker started. He didn't want this to end up in a fight, like it usually did.

"It's our duty, we were born to do this," Abigail replied.

"Yeah yeah, fate and shit," Sam mumbled, twiddling her rock in her fingers again. "Nothing we haven't heard before."

"Shouldn't we feel honored to have been blessed with powers and the ability to actually make a difference and help people?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, but is everyone here ready to die?" Annabelle asked.

The minute these words left Anna's mouth, everyone went dead silent.

"Is everyone here aware that we could die on this journey?" Anna continued. "Think about your friends, your family. You might never get to see them again. Are you all ready for that?"

Everyone was silent. Most of them had their gaze locked on the ground in front of them in thought or just utter shock. This thought hadn't crossed their mind before, and it was definitely something deep to think about.

"Guys, we're just children..." Lilly muttered. She sat with her knees to her chest, hugging them as she stared at the stone ground with wide eyes. "Are we ready for this...?"

"Are you guys serious...?" Parker asked, looking over at his friends in slight shock. "We meet one obstacle and you guys are already giving up? We're stronger than this!"

"If you're gonna give me a pep talk, save it, smallfry," Sam muttered.

"Well you guys obviously need one," Parker pointed out, giving Sam a slight glare before softening back up. "Look, if being heroes were easy, everyone would be one. So no, it's not easy, and there's gonna be a ton more obstacles later on, but if you guys are giving up already now, then you might as well stop drinking that goddamn mystery liquid and die, because you're never gonna go back to your normal lives!"

"So you guys have two options: give up before the battle's even started, or fight like your life depends on it and fucking live! I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather die on my feet than live on my knees!"

"And I know that if we train longer, work harder, get faster, stronger, better, we can do this! Now, who's with me?!"

Everyone stayed silent, looking at each other. It almost seemed like Parker hadn't convinced anyone, until Leo stood up.

"I am."

"If Leo's in, I am too!" Grayson said, standing up too and giving Leo a high five. Sam slowly sat up, her nonchalant expression still plastered on her pale face.

"I can't believe I was convinced by a smallfry like you," she said, patting Parker's head lightly.

"But I'm taller than you..."

Eventually everyone had stood up, as ready as ever to fight.

"Great!" Parker exclaimed happily, seeing as he had managed to convince everyone. "Now, how do we get out of this place?"

----

I know this is a short chapter, but I reeeally have a bad case of writer's block ;w;

Random fact: Even though Stefan and Sam don't act like it, they're sensitive deep down :3 And if you call Sam Samantha, she'll most likely cut you (unless you're Penny or Caitlin)

- Kate ⭐️