Chapter 14: Revenge

[published September 10th 2017]

Picture above is an old sketch of Owen ^^

I almost didn't have time to write this chapter--

----

"Keep running, Ava!"

"Lukas... I'm tired..."

Lukas held onto Ava's arm as he pulled her along, running as fast as his small legs could take him. Multiple of Sullivan's guards were running after them with guns, shooting at the siblings. Luckily, they were too far behind the two to actually hit them.

They had been caught stealing and trespassing on Sullivan's property, and now they were gonna pay.

"We're almost there!" Lukas yelled back, pulling his sister as he tried to pick up his pace. But his legs were growing tired, and he was losing his breath.

Soon enough, they had reached the forest, dashing through the trees as the guards followed behind. Ava was holding tightly onto the carved bird she called Lance, as Lukas continued to pull her. Ava tripped over a rock, but Lukas managed to pull her back up before she reached the ground.

Ava's eyes widened as she felt her hand empty, knowing she had dropped the bird. She slipped out of Lukas's grasp, turning around and heading back for Lance.

"Ava!" Lukas yelled, reaching out for his sister and was about to run after her when a pair of arms wrapped around him, stopping him.

"LET ME GO!" He yelled, struggling to get out of the grasp. It was the guy that had given Ava the carved bird. He pushed down on a pin on his shirt, causing a flash to appear around them before they were invisible.

The guards had caught up and was standing a few feet away from Ava, who had bent over and grabbed the bird. She stood back up, as a gun was pointed at her.

Lukas' mouth was covered to stop his screaming, as he continued kicking and thrashing around to get away.

Bang.

Lukas stood completely still as his eyes widened.

The wooden bird fell to the ground, landing with a soft thump.

The guards ran past Ava, continuing deeper into the woods to look after Lukas as he stood frozen, unable to do or say anything.

Lukas elbowed the man in the stomach, causing him to let go of him and bend over in pain as Lukas ran towards his sister.

She laid in the grass, blood staining her clothes as her hand was a few inches away from the wooden bird, almost like she had been reaching for it. Her eyes were still open in fear.

"S-sis?" Lukas asked, sitting on his knees by Ava. But there was no point, she was already dead.

"N-no..." Tears started watering in Lukas' eyes as he looked down at his sister. The man couldn't help but let a tear run down his cheek as he saw Ava. He reached out to place a hand on Lukas' shoulder, but he hit it away.

"No! Stay away from me!" He cried, standing up and backing away from the man as he glared at him in utter rage.

"I didn't want both of you to die..." The man said, taking a step towards Lukas who only backed away.

"Go away!" Lukas yelled back.

"I'm here for you--"

"Stay away from me!!"

"Lukas, I'm the only family you have left," the man said, tears were still watering in his eyes.

"YOU'RE NOT MY FAMILY!"

The man went silent, as a single tear ran down his cheek.

"You killed the only family I had left! YOU COULD'VE SAVED HER!" Lukas was now screeching, tears streaming down his face.

The man looked down in shame. "You know where to find me if you need someone..." The man said, before walking away. He never saw Lukas again.

Lukas watched as he walked away, before walking over to Ava.

He wiped his remaining tears on his sleeve, grabbing Ava's arm and pulling her farther into the woods.

"You're not dead," he sniffed as he struggled to pull her along. "You don't get to die. You hear me?! You don't get to die!!"

He pulled her a few inches before falling to the ground on his hands and knees.

"I'm all alone..." He whispered, staring at the ground under him in disbelief as tears watered in his eyes. "You can't leave me..."

He sniffed, turning around and grabbing onto Ava.

"Wake up!" He yelled as he shook her. "I SAID WAKE UP, YOU IDIOT!"

He let go of her, keeping his eyes locked on her. "Why won't you wake up, sis...?"

He grabbed onto her hand and held it gently as tears rolled down his cheeks. "I need you..."

He sniffed, "I promise I'll get revenge." He let go of her hand, pulling a string off his shirt before standing up and walking up to the wooden bird, making it into a necklace and placing it around his neck.

"It looks good on me, doesn't it, sis?" Lukas asked, looking back at Ava and chuckling sadly. "I might even take his name."

He let out another sad chuckle before walking back over to Ava, laying down next to her and holding onto her hand as tears continued to roll down his cheeks.

"I love you..."

----

I am in so much emotional pain right now :')

I was listening to sad music while writing this, I feel dead inside

Fun fact: Lance used to have brown hair, but colored it black and let it grow out a bit after Ava's death. Also, Ava was born with magical powers, but Lance was born without, and was always jealous of her.

- Kate ⭐️