Forty One

Anthony

It was early November and all the trees had turned their different colors. There was a brisk wind in the Windy City as I enjoy the place I now call home.

My good friend Jonathan let Isabella and I take his boat out on the lake for the day. I was going to rent it but as soon as I offered him money he asked if our friendship meant nothing to him. Once we got that sorted out he gave me the keys and offered to take care of Nicky for they day. He was going to take him ice skating since he can now and it's all he's talked about the past three days.

As for right now, I was going to take my beautiful girlfriend on a boat ride around the city. Being from Florida I knew how to handle this bad boy. I take her a few miles off the dock and drop anchor. We were close enough to see the city and all its beauty but far enough away that it was no longer a problem. No honking or crowded streets, it was just me and my girlfriend and the calming water.

I find Isabella leaning over the side of the boat taking it all in. Her long blonde hair naturally wavy and blowing in the wind. She wore a beautiful light blue maternal dress that matched her killer eyes. She had a smile on her face as she let the city take her in.

"You're so beautiful, you know that" I ask.

"So you keep telling me" she says.

"I'm serious. It's still shocking to me. Every day is like the first day with you. The way you look at me, like we don't see each other day. Like you're not ever going to see me again. It makes me feel so alive. It reminds me that I am the luckiest man in the whole world" I say.

"The feeling is mutual" she smiles.

I feel in my pocket and let out a large smile. I grab the small box out of my pocket and open it. There sat the prettiest ring I've ever laid my eyes on, the only one that can capture her beautiful soul.

"You know, I was going to wait to purpose but I don't want to anymore. I don't really know what I was waiting for because everything I've ever wanted... it's right here in front of me" I start. I slowly turn the box to her and place myself on one knee as she starts to cry. She covers her mouth with her hands and she starts to shake.

"Oh my god" she whispers and I smile.

"Over a year ago I thought I was going to get my first game under my belt, but I got so much more. I got a kid and eventually another one and someone who completes me.

That day we met, it was so much more than me starting my baseball career. I was me starting the rest of my life. That day I met you and Nicholas and my life forever changed.

After the game I went home and my mom called to congratulate me. She couldn't make it out but I assured her I'll play a lot here. But we didn't talk about baseball that night. She listened to me go on and on about this stunning woman and her brother who has the world against them and they were winning. I didn't know Nicky didn't have a good heart. I didn't know anything about you besides the fact that you had me intrigued. And I should have been worried about hitting or fielding balls but when I went to bed at night I didn't pray for s home run or a sparkling defensive play, I prayed that I would see you before the game again.

The more I talked to Nicholas the more I knew I wanted to be a part of his life. He was this flamboyant little witty kid who loved to talk and crack jokes. And I loved to listen. He was my wing man and he was helping me break you down but he was breaking me down along the way. He wears his true colors put for everyone to see and I promise you that boy will change the world, I know he changed mine.

And now I sit here on a boat with you and I wasn't planning on getting down on one knee. I bought the ring in case I felt like the time was right, and I do. Everything feels so right with you. With you I can never go wrong and I want it to be like that forever. And while I felt like this moment is perfect, it would be even better if you agreed to marry me" I say. It falls silent as I try to catch my breath after my rant. She starts to nod her head as she wipes away a tear.

"Yes" she finally says and I let out a sigh. I slide the ring on her finger and she pulls me into a deep kiss. I stand up in her arms and dip her backwards. She giggles a little before I put her on her feet again.

"I'm so happy" she says and her face quickly falls.

"What? What's wrong" I ask.

"Nothing, I was just thinking... no one will walk me down the isle" she says slowly. I feel like that's not it.

"We'll figure it out" I assure we and she gives a weak smile. "Are you sure you're okay" I ask again.

"Yeah, I just didn't see this coming" she admits looking down to the ring on her finger.

"No one knows because I wasn't planning on purposing today but I don't want to wait" I shrug.

"Then we should get married. Right now" she says quickly and I hold my hand up.

"Woah, I don't mean we should get married right now. I didn't want to wait to purpose" I say.

"You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just really excited" she defends.

"That's okay, I think it's cute you're so excited" I say tapping her nose.

"You know that I love you more than anything, right" she asks.

"Of course" I say and she smiles.

After having a little picnic and taking a bunch of photos we head back to shore. I'm sure Ciara is giving Nicky all at the candy in the world and we should get back before someone gets hurt.

We walk in and find them all on the couch. Nick was half asleep until the door close behind us. His little head pops up and he smiles big. He runs over and jumps in my arms like always and I pick him up.

"What happens when you're to big to do this" I ask.

"That just means you have to get stronger" he claims and I laugh.

"So, how was your date" Ciara asks.

"Amazing" Isabella claims as she smiles bright. She sticks her hand out and I thought Ciara was going to lose it right there.

"No fucking way" she whispers pulling her hand up to her face. She stares at the ring as Isabella continues to smile.

"Yeah, we're getting married" Isabella assured her. I liked the sound of that. We're getting married.

"Wait, you are going to marry my sister" Nick asks.

"Yeah. We're going to be one happy family" I explain.

"Does this mean I can't marry her" he asks.

"She's always going to be yours" I assure him.

"I'm not feeling too well" Isabella announces and I turn to her. She was sweating and she looked really pale.

"You've not looking too hot, you look like a ghost. Why don't you go sit down" Ciara asks.

"You can use my pills sissy. They make me feel better" Nicky offers and she smile.

"Thank you baby but I'll be fine" she assure him.

"What do you need" I ask.

"Nothing, I'm sure it'll pass" she insists laying on the couch. I set Nicky down and he goes over and kisses her forehead. How cute are they?

"I love you" she says touching his face.

"I love you too."