Eleven

Isabella

After a really rough week Anthony drags me out of the house for an nice meal and some music. For one night I get away from being a mom and a dad and a sister and a financial consultant and I can just be free.

Life has been... less than ideal. After getting Nick home form the hospital he's been complaining that his heart hurts. They gave him some pain pills on top of the three he already takes every day but it helps so I won't be one to complain. But it's been a transition to get him back home and to school while keeping a close eye on him. He hates it but that's the way it has to be until I get that phone call.

As for tonight, Anthony took me out to a small restaurant with live entertainment. It's was cute and chill and everything I needed in a time like this. I sit in my white dress listening to the musician play on the piano and softly sing into the microphone. The lights were dim but I thought it was relaxing. I look across the table and catch Anthony's glance. His brown eyes shining in this dark place. He sends me a sweet smile that sends chills down my spine.

"You look amazing" he starts.

"Thank you, you look pretty great youreself" I compliment.

"So, how are you holding up" he asks.

"It's been rough. My grandparents keep insisting that we or at least Nicky comes to live with them so they can take care of him. But I couldn't pull him away from here, he would rather his heart give out than have to leave" I explain.

"They can't take him from you, can they" he wonders.

"Legally no. But if I can't afford to take care of him or he doesn't start getting better under my care then they can appeal to a judge" I sigh.

"They wouldn't do that" he claims.

"They would. They think they know him, us. Since my dad passed they've been hounding me to give him up. I was only twenty at the time and they didn't think I could take care of myself let alone a kid with heart problems. They think I'm some kid who doesn't know what Nicky needs, and they think he needs them" I shrug.

"Well they know nothing about anything. Because I've never seen a little kid so attached to someone before in my life. I might be his favorite player but you're his hero. He's still alive today because of your love for him. No one else" he insists. I look at him as he waits for me to say something. His chocolate brown eyes scanning me to make sure I understood what he said. And I did.

"Thank you" I say and he cocks his head to the side.

"For what" he wonders.

"You're the first person who sees what I see. Just because my brother shouldn't have lived this long doesn't mean I shouldn't want more for him. I see more in his life and you do too. Thank you for understanding why I do the things I do. For listening to my cries for help and actually doing something to about it. It means the world to me. I don't feel like crying every night anymore. I'm excited to go to bed because I know that when I wake up I get to talk to you and that is the best feeling in the world" I explain.

"I love-" he starts but stops when the waiter places our food on the table. He lets out a loud sigh and I kind of felt bad that he got cut off... again.

We eat our food and enjoy a light dinner conversation. Baseball was almost over and it's kind of sad but it was obvious they weren't going to be in the post season, that's for sure. But not unusual.

Eventually the food is gone and we switched over to water so at least one of us can drive home. I start to tap my finger on my glass and Anthony watches me closely.