Ten

Anthony

For this series of games my parents decide to come into town to watch me play. They were up the first night I played here and on my birthday earlier in August but I feel like I haven't seen them in forever. I was very much a mommas boy and I needed my parents more than I would like to admit. But they love to spoil me too so I guess it wasn't all my fault.

As soon as I told them about Isabella and Nicholas they've been dying to come up. It's been hard to get their schedule and mine to match up but we finally got something figured out. And although things are kind of rough right now I think my parents are just what we need. They helped me through the toughest of times and they know all about fund raising and what to do to make sure Nick has the best time getting better.

This early September morning I sit at the gate of the airport waiting for my parents to get in. Like always the planes weren't on time so I play a game on my phone and text back and fourth with Isabella talking about anything and everything. She was nervous to meet my parents but I promised they will love her. I know I did and I wish I knew how to say it to her but every time I'm about to say it something happens. I'm sure I'll be able to tell her, one of these days.

At about 11 my parents finally find me by the place where you pick up your suitcases. We say our hellos and my mom does her best to embarrass me like always.

I take them to my place to drop their stuff off there since it's where they'll be staying for the next few days. After that we go to Isabellas for lunch and then off to see the city afterwards. They've been around town before but I know they'll find any excuse to be around Isabella and Nicky. I know I do.

We walk straight in the house because I'm past the point of knocking now. We've been together for well over 2 months but even at the beginning I never knocked. When we get in I find Nicky finishing up taking his pills. They were huge but he takes them like a champ.

"Nickyyyy" I sing song and his little head pops up over the counter. He was small for a five year old but it makes him that much cuter.

"Anthony" he screams. He runs around the corner and jumps into my arms like always. I pick him up and place him on my hip.

"Are those your parents" he asks pointing to my mom and dad.

"Yes it is. This is my mom Laurie and my dad John" I say.

"Hi guys" he waves and we all chuckle

"Hi Nicky, it's nice to meet you" my dad says.

"Can you teach me some baseball things" he asks and I smile. I should have known.

"You want to hear about Anthony when he first started to learn about baseball" my dad asks and Nick lights up.

"Yes please" he squeals. I set him down and he runs off to the back porch with my dad.

My mom pulls me into her side as we watch my dad pull Nick into his lap. They start talking and my dad laughs at whatever Nick said, I'm sure it's something funny, that kid is a riot. Seeing those two together made my heart beat harder, it was honestly so precious.

"So where is your girlfriend, I'm actually dying to meet her" my mom says.

"She's right there" I say pointing to Isabella in the kitchen setting out snacks and drinks. She had on a cute floral shirt and black slacks. Her hair natural and wavy and all the way down her back. Not a speck of makeup on, just like always.

"Wow" my mom gasps.

"Yeah, I know" I smile.

Isabella finishes up and carries a tray out to us. She smiles up to me and I couldn't help but do it back.

"Hello, you must be Mrs. Rizzo" she says turning to my mom.

"That's me, but please call me Laurie" my mom insists.

"Of course, would you like some lemonade" she offers.

"I would love some" my mom smiles. She and I both take one and Isabella sets the tray on the island in her kitchen.

"Wow, this is so good" I gasp.

"It's secret recipe" she winks.

"I would love to have a peek at it" my mom claims.

"Of course, I can write it down for you" Isabella nods.

"Great, that would be awesome" my mom smiles. They run off to the kitchen and I decide to join the boys outside. I sit on the porch next to Nick and he sits himself in his lap.

"I want to be big and strong like Anthony" he tell my dad looking up to me.

"You know, Anthony looked a lot like you at your age" my dad says.

"Really" Nick gasps.

"Yeah, he didn't get big until high school" my dad explains.

"So what you're telling me is that I got time" Nick concludes and my dad laughs.

"Yup" he nods.

Eventually my mom and Isabella walk out laughing extra loud talking a mile a minute. They continue to talk as Isabella sits next to me and my mom on the other side of her. We all just hang our legs off the porch like we've been together our whole lives.

"You two seem to be having fun" I notice.

"What can I say, your mom is a cooler version of you" Isabella smiles and I gasp.

"I'm offended" I joke.

"I don't know what to tell you" she shrugs.

"Just kidding, I know my mom is cooler than me" I smile. I throw a arm around Isabella and pull her close. She leans over to kiss Nick on the head and he wipes at it.

"Gross Izzy! Not in front of Anthony's parents" he whines and we all laugh. This kid, I swear.

After eating lunch together we walk around the city. Isabella and Nicky give the hometown Chicago tour as my parents listen to the history and culture. It was defiantly different than Florida but still beautiful in its own right.

"So you're from Chicago" my dad asks Isabella.

"Yeah. There was never a dull moment in my childhood" she laughs.

"Were you always a Cubs fan" he asks.

"Born and raised" she smiles.

"That must have been rough" he admits.

"That's a understatement. But that's kind of why I stayed in Chicago, that kind of helpless sense of hope that's around here, it's good for us. There's always a chance that a miracle happens around here, I know I already had one happen" she says smiling down to her brother as he watches the ground so he doesn't step on a crack.

"That's beautiful" my mom says and I nod.

"This place has always been good to me. I mean look what it's given to me" she says turning her attention to me. A involuntary smile spread across my face as she stares at me with those insane eyes.

"Glad my son is involved in something bigger than my baseball" my mom smiles.