Nineteen

Anthony

Before we went down to Florida there was a fundraiser for Nicks new heart back in Chicago. Nicks school and the Cubs organization chipped in to help spread awareness about heart disease and how it effects kids and hopefully raise money for a new heart. The event was called "Heart of Gold" and was being held in the gym at the school. There was a raffle for Christmas trees donated by places around the Chicago area and special gift baskets. Those were mostly Cubs stuff but the Hawks and bulls and bears did donated some signed things to auction off which is awesome. There was a bunch of little ways to raise money and I was praying we could get something started and raise awareness.

We arrive in the gym around four in the afternoon and get set up. There was a dj and a bunch of food and drinks set out for the night. There was tables for the raffles and tables to sit and eat at. The dance floor was open and there was even a bounce house for the kids who wanted to have fun. Everything was gold and blue upon the requesting one Nicholas and the place was looking good.

After we set up people start showing up and I was actually shocked by the turn out. There was a bunch of professional athletes from around the area here playing with the kids and talking to everyone. I got to meet Derrick Rose and Devin Hester and I've never seen Isabella fangirl so hard.

I walk around with Nick in my arms and Isabella by my side as we say hi to people. Thank them for helping or donating or just being here. We end up talking to one of Nicks friends and her family and get to know them. They say that their kid Miranda missed having Nick around and wished him well. Even though this situation was shitty everyone around us made it so much easier.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see no one other than Jonathan Toews standing there behind me. My eyes go big as I look him up and down. I've met a lot of athletes tonight but never would I thought I would see someone from the Blackhawks here let alone the man himself. They were going through some shit right now with a labor strike in the nhl and he was a big part of the nhlpa that is in charge of getting them hockey back. I wonder how he blew in here.

"Hey man" he starts so casually.

"Hey Jonathan" I say and Nick connects the dots.

"Captain Tazer" he yells and I laugh.

"Yeah, that's Captain Tazer buddy" I say tickling his sides.

"And you must be the highly talked about Nicholas" Jon says. Nick starts to flex the few arm muscles he had making us laugh. I feel a arm snake around my hips and look down to see my girlfriend join us.

"Hey, who's your friend" Isabella asks Nick.

"It's Jonathan Toews" Nick cheers totally butchering his last name but it's okay because he's cute.

"Oh wow, I didn't even recognize you. Nice to meet you" she says sticking her hand out.

"You too..." he trails off.

"Isabella. But you can call me Izzy" she says.

"Cool. So you guys put all this together" he asks looking around.

"Yeah, it was all donated to us which is awesome. We're just hoping to raise enough money to get this guy a new heart" I say squeezing Nicks side.

"How much money do you need" he asks and I laugh a little.

"300 grand" I reply and he whistles.

"Wowzers. That's a lot" he admits and I nod.

"Yeah, but it's worth it. The kid is special" I smile up to him. He wraps his arms around me and I rub his back.

Nick runs off to play some games with his friends and Jon sits down and talks to Isabella and I. The Hawks were in the middle of a nasty strike and they haven't played hockey yet this season but Jon says they're close to figuring something out. He's staying in Chicago training so he's ready for when they get back.

"How long does he have left with the heart he has" Jon asks as we watch him dance around on the dance floor. I'm not sure where he got his moves from but they were actually decent. Not good, but decent.

"Almost a year" Isabella sighs.

"I'm so sorry. I hope you guys can find a heart really soon" he nods.

"We're getting there. Slowly but surely" I add on.

"If there's anything I can do to help let me know, you guys are obviously great people considering how many people turned out to support you. I always say that the kids are our future and if our future is in that little boys hands we will be perfectly fine. It breaks my heart to think that he might not be here one day soon. He's touched so many lives, in the thirty minutes I've known him he's touched mine. I'm going to leave you my number and seriously, even if you just need someone to talk to please call me" he says handing me a card. I wipe away a tear and take the card.

"You have no idea how amazing that is to hear. To know you have someone to go through this with you means the world. I always heard about how great of a person you are but they hardly do you justice. Thank you man" I say pulling him into a hug.

"Anytime, stay strong buddy" he sniffles.

He walks into a crowd of people and greets his fans. If I was popular here then he's a king. I pull Isabella to the dance floor and find out little boy surrounded by girls. He runs over with the biggest smile on his face and attaches to Isabellas legs.

"This is the best day ever" he yells and I laugh.

"I'm glad you're having fun buddy" I admit.

"Will you guys dance with me" he asks.

"Of course" Isabella smiles.

The song changes and I grab one of Isabellas hands and one of Nicholas'. He grabs Isabellas free hand and starts jumping around. We lift him as he smiles bright.

"Again, again" he yells and we do as we're told. And for a second Nick wasn't sick. He was a kid having fun with his friends. All these people here, they're here to help him get a heart and I find that I too was too praying for a Christmas miracle.

The event comes and goes and we thank everyone for their donations and 50/50 raffles and the baskets and trees and announce the winners. Everyone collects their things and we thank them once again. Isabella, my parents and I stay back to clean up while Ciara took nick home so he can take his medication and go to bed.

"Oh my god" someone yells and I turn around. I see my mom holding up a envelope and walk over to her.

"What's wrong" I ask.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Look" she whispers handing me the envelope. It had mine and Isabellas name on cursive on the front and I become confused. I reopen it since my mom already opened it and pull out a piece of paper with a check stapled to it. The check was for $250,000 and I nearly choke on the air. I look where it came from and it had the name Jonathan Toews on it.

"No way" I say softly.

"What is it" Isabella asks.

"A check for a quarter of a million dollars from Jon" I say and she gasps.

"You're kidding" she tries.

"No really! Look" I say handing it to her.

"It says
To Anthony, Isabella, and Nicholas,
I just wanted to say thank you. Times are hard with the lockout and with not having hockey, I've been questioning my faith a lot. My faith in people, my faith in what I know, and my faith in God. But when the Hawks organization suggested to check this event out I figured I should, and I'm so happy I did. I re found my faith through you guys and I'm forever thankful for that. You guys are stronger than anyone I've ever met. I have the upmost confidence that you guys will find a donor in time and I hope this will cover a majority of that. Best of luck and I would love to have you guys at a Blackhawks game soon.
Best of Wishes, Jonathan" she finishes.

"It's a Christmas miracle" my mom says and I smile.

"How did you know about that" I ask.

"About what" she wonders.

"Never mind" I shake my head. Maybe there really was such things as Christmas miracles.