Thirty Four

Isabella

"Okay, what are you going to wear for your first day of school" I ask Nick as we pick up his room. He wasn't really messy but Anthony was in New York taking on the Mets and wouldn't be home until tomorrow so it was just Nick and I. It was like the good old times when it was just him and I and I enjoyed these moments. The summer always gave us time to sit down and relax and dammit we were finally going to do it.

"My Anthony Rizzo jersey" he claims.

"Don't you think it'll be a little warm for that, you start school in August" I remind him.

"It's not hot in the school" he replies with sass laces through each syllable.

"Well sorry" I laugh.

We get his clothes put away and decide to go watch some tv. We plop on the couch with some popcorn and watch Shrek because that movie was the best. Halfway through the movie I hear someone pull into my driveway and I become confused. Anthony was in NYC, Ciara lives across the street so she never drives over and Jon wouldn't come over by himself unless Anthony was home, but he knew he wasn't.

"Did you have a play date today" I ask Nick.

"No, but a lot of people want to hang out with me" he concludes. If it makes sense to him...

I get up and look through the blinds and my heart drops. I see my grandparents getting out of the car with some random girl. I wasn't sure where's this was going but I know I don't like it.

"Hey Nick, go to your room" I say closing the blinds so he doesn't see them walking up.

"Why" he asks.

"Do it and I'll let you call Anthony all by yourself when his game is done" I bargain. He flies up the stairs without further questioning and I shake my head, love that kid.

There's a knock on the door and I brace myself for whatever fire my grandma has to spit at me.

"Good morning Isabella" she says.

"It was" I mumble and my grandpa laughs a little until my grandma glares at him.

"Can we talk with you" she asks.

"Do I have a choice" I ask.

"No, but I figured I could at least try to work with you" she insists.

"That would require me being open minded and we both know that's not going to happen" I insist.

"I kind of figured, that's why I brought my lawyer with me" she says.

"Angela" the girl says sticking her hand out.

"This is a joke right" I ask staring at her hand as she slowly retracts it.

"No" my grandma says inviting herself in and bringing her little dogs with her. They got to the dining room table and sit down.

"Is there a reason you are so against me? Like what did I do to you" I snap.

"Nothing, sweetie you've done nothing wrong" my grandma says.

"Then why are you so adamant on ruining my life" I wonder.

"We aren't trying to ruin your life, we're trying to give you one" she insists.

"I have one and it's great until you come in it messing everything up" I defend.

"Can you just sit down and listen" she sighs.

"Can you leave me the hell alone" I snap.

"Please" my grandpa says and I sigh. God he looked just like my dad. I sit down and stare across the table.

"Are you aware of the types of repercussions your incident the other day caused" the girl asks pulling out some papers.

"No, Nick is just fine now" I insist.

"The repercussions aren't with him, it's with the media" she asks.

"Of course the media is going to be talking about it. He's like the most popular kid in Chicago. He gets to call Anthony Rizzo his dad and Jonathan Toews bought him a new heart saving his life. He's going to be in the spotlight" I defend.

"And he shouldn't be. It's hard enough he has to go through this, he doesn't need the whole world watching him nearly die at a baseball game" my grandma claims.

"My mother gave us those seats when she died, we haven't missed a game since Nicky was born. Good heart or not, whether I was with Anthony or not, we would have been at that game. In this life full of so many uncertain going to those games are the only thing that little boy knows will always be there for him and I'm not taking that away."

"Yes, but it this whole incident would not have been on the news if he wasn't hanging around who he is."

"Those aren't just sports figures to Nick, those guys are his friends. In his eyes they're not famous, they love him and that's all that matters. You can't take him away from them because they'll fight you just like I am."

"We're not here to fight, we know we can't do anything unless you hand him over. But we think it's in his best interest if you do."

"And I won't. He lost his mom and his dad, I did too. We're all we have left, I'm not letting him go."

"I understand how you're feeling but you don't see what you're doing to him. You got distracted and didn't give him his meds, and you got lucky this time. But if there's a next time you won't be so lucky."

"There won't be a next time."

"There shouldn't have been a first time."

"He wouldn't even be alive in the first place if it wasn't for me."

"And we're thankful for that. But it's obvious you have other interests that lead us to believe that you aren't fit to take care of him" she trails off.

"You don't think I can be with Anthony and Nicky" I ask.

"We don't. If we asked you to choose right now what would you say" she asks.

"If I had to choose between the two I would much rather die. Because those two are just as good for each other as they are for me" I defend.

"What do we have to say for you to understand that Nicholas would be better with us" she asks.

"Nothing. There isn't jack shit you could say that would lead me to believe that you guys are better for my brother than I am. You don't know what he likes, his favorite subject and his favorite games to go to. You don't know him and you certainly don't know me. You can bring you and your lawyers into my house but you can't touch me" I spit.

"You sound just like Charlie" my grandma scoffs.

"Don't bring my dad into this" I warn.

"Why not" she wonders.

"Because he might have been your kid but I don't see it. He was dying and he put his whole world in my hands. He trusted me with everything he has and I have done everything to know I haven't let him down. And not you or your lawyer or you manipulative ways can convince me to break my promise to my dad. So I would really appreciate it if you left so I continue to live my life the way it should be" I beg.

"Fine" she says getting up. Everyone silently follows her out and I let my forehead fall on the table. I hear the car pull away and let out a scream.

"Was that grandma and grandpa" a sweet voice asks.

"Yeah, they just left" I say.

"Darn, I wanted to give this toy back. It sucks" Nick says holding up the creepy white sox toy my grandpa gave to him in his hands.

"Come on Nicky, lets watch the game" I say and he lights up. We return to the couch and change to the game where we watch the Cubs play baseball like how it should be.