{8}Pain

Bella Jones

I shivered as I pulled myself up on the bank, closing my eyes and sighing. I felt like absolute crap. It took me five minutes to pull myself out of the water- and that was a good thing considering I couldn't exactly see where I was going. I laid there for another two minutes before a scuffling sound caught my attention.

"Landon?" I asked, scared out of my wits it was the Alpha. Then I took a huge breath and my concerns vanished- Landon's scent was everywhere. He growled in turn, and I could feel his hot breath on my hand. I hesitantly reached my hand out, feeling his soft muzzle. I don't know what exactly came over me- but I had this sudden urge to pet him. He snorted into my hand and pushed his head forward, obviously giving me permission. So I pulled myself completely out of the water and settled beside him, enjoying his warmth. I didn't want to get to close to him yet, so I just decided to lightly pat his huge head.

"Thank you for defending me earlier- Even if I don't know why you would do it." I smiled softly and he leaned into me.

"I guess it wouldn't be to terrible if we were friends." I offered, laughing when he pounced to my other side and yipped in agreement. I was seriously offering to- yes he was a jerk but I was beginning to see his softer side. Even if I was still extremely wary of him- and no way in heckerdoodles is he getting my trust anytime soon. After all, I met him a week ago.

I heard bones popping and I knew he was shifting back. Even if I was blind, it's not like I'm really comfortable being next to a completely naked man. As I shielded myself from his bareness, I begin to wonder what he looked like. Was he tall, short? Blonde, brunet? Tan or pale? I was really curious now.

He laughed at my grossed out face and must have found some kind of clothing because I heard rustling of cloth.

"Thank you Bella. I promise I'll make up for being such a bad m... friend." He replied, sounding uncharacteristically friendly. I nodded and slowly turned back in his direction.

"Are you clothed?" I asked timidly, scared he would try and mess with me.

"Yes, I have short on Bells." He laughed, sounding pleased that I was actually agreeing to be friends with him. I guess it was because I was grateful for his kindness and help with his father. At the mention of Alpha Parker my hand involuntarily flew to my swollen cheek.

"Don't call me that." I grumbled, standing up and yawning. I really needed to get home.

"Would you like me to walk you home?" He asked me, yawning as well. I normally wouldn't agree, but I really had no idea where in the world I was. So I nodded in agreement and we set off.

When I finally got home, my mom didn't even say a word to me. I expected as much from her. But what really got me was when my father actually asked if I was okay. It took me about five minutes before I finally answered. I assured him I was fine and stormed up the stairs, angry at the attention he had given me. Now he decided to pay attention? Well he's in for a surprise.

Monday morning it felt like everyone was quiet as I walked through the halls. No one even dared whisper about me, and even my friends seemed to be in a subdued mood to me. Whenever I tried to ask any of them about it, they just sighed and told me everything was ok. I let it go and continued walking. I came across a few hushed voices so I hid behind a wall and listened closely. It was a few teachers.

"Poor Gansey. And at such a young age, that much responsibility?" I heard Ms. Sparks sigh, sounding like she'd been crying. I frowned- Ms. Sparks never showed in emotion in the past week I'd been attending this school- but now she almost sounded like she was showing empathy. That was my sign to get worried- had something happened last night?