"I've got my squad. Don't worry about me, shit-head. We will be back before you even know it. You'll be handed over to the Garrison Regiment while we're out. Captains orders." Levi pats my (h/c) hair.

I didn't catch on to the punchline, "But you're the captain, Levi?" I asked, confused.

"Wow. You really are an idiot. That's the point. You really think I'll leave you in headquarters all by yourself? ." Levi frowns.

I remove his hand from my hair and give out an "Oh."

There was a long pause as I thought to myself.

I might as well tell him. Even if it's a tiny chance he might not return back to me, he deserves to know he truth I've kept from him. My confession.

I give a long sigh and take his hands within mine.

He immediately scowls, but he doesn't bring them away.

"He-heichou..." I say, almost in a whisper. "There's something I've been meaning to tell you." My cheeks grow rose and I smile in embarrassment.

"What is it?"

"I...whenever I first met you, I thought you were the most self centered, arrogant, rudest bitch I had ever laid eyes on." He rolls his eyes at this statement, but doesn't interrupt.

"-and now, two years later...I still think you're the most self centered, arrogant, rudest bitch I've ever met. Despite all of this, I think I've..."

I pause.

"-No..I know I've..developed strong, romantic feelings for you, Levi. I want to be with you. I want to be your cleaning partner, and drink tea with you, even though I find it disgusting. I want to kill titans with you and watch you not only grow as Humanities Strongest, but as a human being." I finish my speech and let go of his hands.

I instantly regret EVERYTHING I said.

Levi did not respond. He wasn't even looking at me anymore. This was strange. Levi has an odd habit of staring at everyone straight in the eye until they focus their attention on anything but him. He told me back when we lived in the Underground that this was his way of showing his dominance over them.

I bite my lip and wait for his reply.

Nothing.

Two minutes later of pure, awkward silence he takes a half-look at me. I could see his cheeks were partially blushing.

I smile at the sight, and then frown at his answer.

"No. "Levi says. He buttons up his white-button down shirt and adjusts the cravat he only took off when he was about to sleep.

I sigh. I knew it. I wanted so badly to leave, but Levi is still my captain, and I couldn't leave until I was dismissed.

"C-could you tell me...why?" I hold back the tears threatening to spill after pouring my heart out and getting rejected.

"Take a good look outside. What do you see?" He pauses.

"-I see a life where everything is not certain. You're here with me in the Survey Corps. Our job is to kill titans. I can't...I can't focus on you, and our duty. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you as it is. I'd kill myself if you were my lover and I lost you. Therefore, I decline your confession. I need to put everyone else above me, and that means, I cannot have a normal life until the titans are eradicated." Levi doesn't look apologetic at all for the way he broke my heart in two. Though I was very sad over his answer, I hope this doesn't change our friendship in anyway. He is the only one I have left in this world, and it's the same case for him.

I nod and ask for permisson to leave, holding back tears.

The tears I fought back take over in the end, and gently rain down my cheeks.

"Permisson granted. Go get some rest, soldier"

I stand from the table, bow my head, and quickly leave to my bunker.

After I'm out of Levi's sight, I immediately begin to cry.