31. Abruption

A little history before we start:

During the medieval, men (especially Royal and noble) were not allowed inside where a woman gives birth.

Childbirth was seen as "ladies' thing", and having an opposite gender around was definitely not allowed.

And that is why Zen can't see Shirayuki.

.

.

Chapter 31: Abruption

It's been overly eight hours since the incident of Shirayuki's sudden pains and faints. The blood has decreased, but the pains have been stronger than before.

And saddest of all, Zen is still not allowed to his dearest wife.

"Wow, since when did you start lying fluently?" Mitsuhide asked after making sure no guards were near.

They had just had a meeting with the King about the poisoning incident.

"Since the day I realized lying can save a life." Kiki's response was nonchalant as ever.

Mitsuhide smiled a bit and looked at Kiki. She looked more than pale, stressed and tired.

The poison issue was causing a major headache. The King had ordered the secret royal monitors to investigate the matter secretly and privately. It was found that the intruder was a jobless man who had been blackmailed into killing Princess Shirayuki either with poison or with a dagger. It was a blow when no one had not recognized an intruder inside the castle. Gladly, no one became a victim to it.

King Izana was slightly disappointed by the defeat. He knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but it was so soon. Indeed, it was his fault for letting this happen. The prisoner he was currently dealing was worst than any man he has ever encountered. And basically, this so-called prisoner is seeking for revenge on the royal family.

The weakest of the Royal Family had always been a target -Shirayuki. And eventually, Izana knew that if the prisoner had succeeded murdering Shirayuki, she wouldn't have been the last person he would murder.

Frustrating of all, the prisoner can't be named arrested for his crimes -for an unexplainable reason.

And for the man who was blackmailed into planning either poisoning or daggering the Princess, his punishment for trying to kill a royal member was a death sentence; an execution.

"We've yet to see Zen. Would you like to accompany me?" Mitsuhide asked after entering the high hall in the East Wing.

Kiki didn't answer.

"You can't be quiet like that, Kiki. Shirayuki has been in labor for over eight hours. Zen misses her."

 Kiki immediately turned to Mitsuhide and instantly guessed what Mitsuhide was planning in his mind.

.

.

.

She held the bed sheets tighter and tighter. Tears were falling from her glamorous eyes to her beautifully carved chin as sweat also fell from her forehead; making her body and hair buried in lots of sweat. She couldn't lie down and neither could she sit.

Shirayuki has been feeling queasy for the past few hours when she started expanding.

And she was all alone. In the dark room, with a few candles lighted on, with the large windows purposefully closed.

She couldn't have contact with anyone, even Zen, an exception for the midwife and her loyal assistants.

Still struggling with the pains and not even able to shout at it, she heard the knob twitch. She didn't even bother to see it was, as it had always been the midwife checking up on her or counting how far she has dilated before she enters childbirth.

She felt the warm hands that always helped her through difficult times. Shirayuki turned her head.

"Zen." Her voice was cracked from crying and low from shouting in pains earlier.

Zen caressed her sweaty face. "Hey," he gently said. With a beam of hope, she carelessly leaned in for a hug, that didn't last long.

"How did you get here?" Shirayuki fastly asked as another pain hit her.

"Through Mitsuhide and Kiki."

Zen took a seat on the bed near Shirayuki and started caressing her body, wishing to make her feel better. "Everything is going to be alright." Zen leaned in and kissed Shirayuki's forehead. It was a marvelous sensation. Having Zen around made her feel happy.

"Please, promise me you're going to stay with me. You're never going to leave me. Never ever." Shirayuki said softly as a tear of fear torn down her cheek.

"I promise, I won't."

Zen started trying to make up a pleasant conversation so Shirayuki couldn't focus on her abdominal pains. He was trying his best, especially with his own treated pains.

Zen planted lots of kisses on her face and on her eight-month-old baby tummy. He hugged her lots of times. He was hoping the pains could be at least forgotten a bit.

Zen sighs and then stands up, leaving Shirayuki stunned by his sudden action."I'm sorry, Shirayuki, but I have to leave."

"What?!" The pains Shirayuki had thought to be fainting slowly started growing.

"I don't have much time here. You know that." Zen said calmly stroking Shirayuki's cheek. She immediately slapped Zen's hands out of her face, Zen astounded. "You promised to stay with me, Zen!" Endless tears starting flooding her cheeks. Zen was above surprised.

"Leave!" She shouted with tears of hurt and ache still flowing. Zen understood and left without a word.

She didn't know what was wrong with her but she was so heartbroken Zen left her.

Shirayuki started feeling something light coming out of her. Her hands couldn't reach to feel what it was and neither could she shout; she had lost most of her voice to shouting. Luckily, the door was opened again by one of the midwife's assistant. She usually came in to check to check how much she has dilated.

She pulled the labor dress on Shirayuki up to see how far she is. Her eyes immediately widened and quickly ran out of the room.

Shirayuki's worries started rising up. Her heart started pounding and thinking what could possibly be going wrong with her now.

The midwife busted inside and quickly took a look underneath Shirayuki.

"The placenta is out?! And the blood is coming again!" The midwife whispered in fear, and with curiosity, Shirayuki heard what the midwife had said.

.

.

.

A/N:

A quick note: The placenta is an organ that grows inside the lining of the uterus during pregnancy. It connects to the umbilical cord and carries oxygen and nutrients from the pregnant woman to the unborn child, and also moves waste away from the baby.

Unfortunately, Shirayuki's placenta has fallen out of its place covering the cervix; Placenta Previa.

And here is with Placenta Previa: as the cervix dilates(opens) during labor, it can cause blood vessels that connect the placenta to the uterus to tear. This can lead to hemorrhage(bleeding) and put both the woman and the baby at risk.

If the placenta comes out before the baby(just like what happened to Shirayuki now) it's called Placental Abruption(abruptio placentae)

Sadly, some babies do not survive placental abruption and may be stillborn or die shortly after birth.

Hope you enjoyed;)