10. Assignment

Chapter 10: Assignment

"Very beautiful", she thought to look at the starry night sky. She walked back to space where her child was fast asleep. It had taken forever before her child gave up crying before going to sleep. She kissed the forehead of her child and whispered, "Goodnight, my sweetheart. Have sweet dreams." She made her way to the door and blew out the last candle that was brightening her son's room but made sure her son's room still had light as she didn't want her son to be scared when he wakes up in the middle of the night and left.

She walked tiredly to her sleeping chambers. She gave a tired sigh. She was wondering maybe, just maybe her husband must be asleep by now. He mentioned about having a court meeting at daybreak. That's why she tried her best to retire early, not wanting to wake her husband. But her son was having a nice moment with his uncle, that he started to cry when he was told he was going to bed.

She didn't have to knock to enter, even though it wasn't her chamber's but her husband's, as she has the authority to enter freely. She noticed the lights were dark. "He must be asleep by now", she thought as she opened the door quietly and entered. To her satisfaction, the King was still awake. He was leaning on one of the pillars, arms crossed, focusing deeply on something.

"Good evening", she greeted gently. Trying to see if her husband would make any move.

"Evening." His Majesty replied back looking at her with his deep sapphires, making a combination with the night sky.

The King knew from the start of his marriage that his wife never retires late. It all started after she gave birth. And worsened, when his son started recognizing people, wanting to be with them more. People like his younger brother, Zen. He had always wondered what was so special about Zen that made his son become a magnet towards him.

The Queen made her way to the washroom. She has always been grateful the dressing room was near the washing room as it would have been embarrassing to walk out of the washroom with dirty clothes, especially if her King was to be the one watching. After cleaning up her body with hot water and a refreshing soap, she took her light-colored robe and wrapped it while her nightgown was underneath.

She walked out of the washing room only to see her husband sitting on a couch. She was surprised a bit and questioned herself if her husband really had a court meeting as by this time he must be asleep. If her husband was still awake then that means something, he wants to talk to her or wasn't worn out.

The King had become bored and detached his body from the pillar. He walked towards the couch and made himself comfortable. After minutes of hearing his partner splash water to her body, the door opened. His wife was wearing a nightgown, that had been covered by a robe. She had let her hair down. Truth be told, the King always loved to see her hair down. And she usually let it down only when she was in either her chambers or his.

At the beginning of her marriage, when she was young and naive, she didn't know anything. She had problems with almost everything. She hadn't gotten used to her husband's facial expressions. She didn't understand most anything about the palace. All she knew was, she was the Queen. And had to wear various attires at various sessions. And was still getting used to the hot summers here.

She gently took her seat beside her husband and took a book from a corner of the table. She ran through pages before she reached her stop and continued reading from the page she last left. After reading some pages she spoke,

"Am I to interrupt your thoughts as you are quiet? If I may, is something troubling you?" She asked as she turned to face the side of her King.

Even though she has the permission to call her husband by his name, she doesn't. Since her husband doesn't protest at her calling him by honorifics, she prefers it that way. The King even enjoys calling her with honorifics too, but only to tease her at times. He just refers to her by her name, Haki.