30. Poison

Chapter 30: Poison

The East wing's appointed royal maids suddenly went busier. The midwife and her assistants were having an impromptu blackout. There was so much going on in less than a minute. The only question that remained on their mind: How to save the Princess.

Kiki's heart was beating fast. For the first time in a while, she has never been so scared. Usually, nothing really concerned her much, but this time this's about life and death. Turning out from the last to the corner, she finally reached her Prince's office.

"Kiki!" Mitsuhide yelled, startled at the sudden opening of Prince Zen's office door. Kiki looked so pale. Mitsuhide suddenly dropped the papers onto the desk and moved towards Kiki, as she also did the same.

"What's wrong? You look breathless." Mitsuhide asked as his hands caressed his lover's burning face. Kiki used the opportunity and took her breath.

"It's Shirayuki."

Mitsuhide's face suddenly changed and stopped caressing her cheeks. "What about her?"

Kiki looked away. She wasn't even sure where to start from. Mitsuhide was desperately wanting an answer. What could have possibly happened to Shirayuki for Kiki to look so scared?

"Kiki, what's with Shirayuki? Tell me, what happened to her?!"

"She passed out."

"What?!" Mitsuhide's shocked face was priceless. "And?"

Kiki unwrapped herself from her years-old lover and faced Mitsuhide with her back. She put her arm on her chest, with the other resting on it.

"I was with the army trainees when Cora had busted in yelling my name. Of course, I asked her what the matter was, only to find out Shirayuki had passed out, lying in her own liters of blood, breathing very slowly. We contacted the midwife immediately. I made sure Alyne and Suki cleaned the blood from the floor as Obi and I carried Shirayuki to her bedchambers. After minutes of trying to wake Shirayuki up and know why she's bleeding, nothing changed. She wasn't breathing as she's supposed to, her eyes weren't opening and the bleeding wouldn't also lack."

Kiki's still-frightened face turned to Mitsuhide's worried look.

"After trying so hard, Shirayuki managed to wake. Everyone was relieved. But the blood... Under seconds Shirayuki started screaming in pain; her abdomen was hurting really badly that she couldn't lie down or even sit. Her screaming turned into cries. We contacted the Chief Herbalist if she could help. Unfortunately, she also said she wasn't sure, but she could try. The midwives also didn't know what to do to stop the pain or the bleeding. On top of everything, Shirayuki is in labor."

"What about painkillers? And sleeping herbs?" Mitsuhide asked.

"They ordered no medication can be given for they do not know what is going on, except for being in labor."

"What are we going to do? And Zen isn't her either."

"I wish I knew."

.

.

.

Listening to their discussions made him, even more, dizzier and more tired. But what choice did he have?