Smores

Art by the WONDERFUL Dust-and-marbles (link to her Deviant is in my Bio)

I'd never had a smore before. It sounded too similar to spores or snores to sound appealing to me, but Cesare insisted I try one. He seemed so proud of himself when he'd squished the marshmallow down so it oozed out the sides, handing it to me with triumph in his eyes.

It was nice, nicer still to see Cesare's face light up when I told him I liked it.

We were all sat around the fire, although Tide and Arden had disappeared to patrol the border. Elma was convinced that wasn't what they were doing. Subsequently, Will had volunteered to actually be on the look out. I tried to catch his eye as he passed, but he wasn't looking.

I snuggled closer into Cesare's side, staring into the fire, and at Devan who was battling with the sticky marshmallow on his chin. One of Arden's pack had brought along a portable radio that was quietly playing some type of acoustic music.

"Do you feel-" Cesare began to ask, but was interrupted by Will's loud shout of 'INTRUDER!'.

Everyone tensed and Cesare leapt to his feet, shielding me as he stood facing the direction of the shout, his stance braced for a fight. The warrior around us surged into action, grabbing their weapons off the side. A hush fell about the camp as we strained to hear through the silence and occasional hoot of an owl.

Will suddenly emerged through the trees, hands up in surrender, "It's good! She's with us!" He yelled, gesturing to the girl who followed behind him.

Cesare relaxed in an instant, and I was surprised by his quick trusting, before he called out, "Ophelia!"

'Ophelia' smiled wide as she spotted him. She was beautiful. Clad in a short, flowing white dress, and black leggings, with sturdy hunting boots. Her dark skin gleamed in the moonlight – almost as if it is radiating off her. She had the aura of someone not quite human, or wolf even.

When she stood close enough, Cesare swept her up into his arms as she giggled, "Nice to see you too, Cheza, or should I say 'Alpha'?"

He let her go, "Oh I think you out rank me," he said, and pulled me into his arms so Ophelia would notice me, "And this is my mate, Eden."

"Hi," I said, suddenly very shy. She beamed, and said in a low voice, "If he ever treats you wrong, you know who to come to," followed by a wink.

I wanted to ask how they knew each other, but didn't know how.

"I've come from the Eye, to see you do well on your journey," she explained, "I requested the mission, if only to see how my best friend's holding up." She smiled at me, "I'm glad he's got you now."

"It's good to have you," Cesare replied, amicably, but frowned, "I thought Will had already been sent?"

She glanced over to where Will was skulking in the background, her eyes tracking his every movement, "He's not moving you along fast enough, plus you might need my insight."

"Have you seen anything unusual?" Cesare asked, worried.

She shrugged, "My visions are always unusual, but yes," she looked directly at me and I left like she could see into my soul, maybe she could, with her 'insight', "And you've been in a lot of them lately. We need to get you safe."

"She's safe with me."

Ophelia acknowledged what he had said, but obviously didn't agree. She moved off to talk to meet the rest of our company and I bit my lip worriedly. Cesare brought his hand up to my lip in a sudden movement and I flinched, but he just gently pried my teeth from the chewed-out flesh.