To be a Luna

"What's wrong with me?" I asked, timidly and unsure, but Cesare held my hand and sat beside me, making sure the doctor didn't intimidate me.

Doctor Alison ticked a box on the paper in her hands before looking up with those piercing green eyes and smiled softly.

"It's nothing too serious," she assured me, or rather Cesare who relaxed a little bit of the tension in his shoulders.

"What it then?" Her Alpha asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"She is shifting....slowly." she announced assessing our reaction, turning to address me, "Your wolf is very strong and she's pushing through your boundaries, trying to gain her freedom and shift into her own form. Blackened veins are a common physical symptom of pre-shift tension. Emotionally wise her will is strong and her emotions are battling with yours," she paused and shifted the clipboard, "hence that little outburst."

I shifted uncomfortably on the bed, glancing down at my fumbling fingers in shame. Cesare had let me sleep a little after it at the hospital, concerned for my wellbeing, I was still burning with guilt and embarrassment. My wolf had gone quiet.

"Is this common?" Cesare asked.

"No, it's rather rare. The circumstances are much different, they were driven apart by her former years and the repercussions are such as this but they are unusual as she has shifted before. These types of symptoms are common with young teenaged patients who struggle to control their hormones, but not fully grown she-wolfs. I don't have many cases to refer to...I, um, I've never really dealt with these kind of abuses within packs."

Cesare huffed, drawing me closer to his side.
"It is curable? There is an end?" He enquired, all on my behalf to which I was grateful. Dr. Alison sighed and placed the clipboard back on the end of my bed.

"It all depends, Eden. You can give in to the shift, let your wolf take control but it will be very hard."

"Why?" I asked, at the time as my mate.

She rung her fingers together, I assumed it meant something to do with my past. Alison seemed nervous to bring it up, I think because Cesare doesn't like it. I know he doesn't, he'll tense and I can feel his anger through the strengthening bond.

I wasn't afraid. He stayed with me last night, even when I was at my weakest. Besides....his anger mirrored mine.

"Well, most wolves and mates are predestined, handed out and perfectly crafted by the goddess. You and your wolf should be in sync, the best of friends."

"Are you saying her wolf is a defect?" Cesare asked, defensive.

"No, not at all. The differences are a consequence of nurture not nature. Her wolf, as far as I can sense, is strong willed, feisty and snappy, but importantly dominant. As a Luna tends to be. Eden, you would have been the same, I'm sure. Now this isn't a bad thing about your character, but you are much gentler, calmer and, well to be blunt - submissive. These parallels can be tough to get across, you'll need to compromise with your wolf."

Cesare was stiff again, wrought with tension, I detected hurt from the bond. He got to his feet, and walked a few feet away, staring out of the window. My heart panged, that tiny bit, at the distance. I wanted him to stay with me. He was my safety blanket.

"Are you saying she would have been different?" He asked, his forehead pressed against the glass, his silhouette illuminated as he stood.

"...in a way, yes." Alison replied. I watched Cesare, uncertain by his reaction.

"Feisty, snappy," he murmured and silently, just barely audible he whispered, "Strong."

He was hurt by this that was profoundly easy to detect. I wasn't sure what to make of his reaction.