Cesare

"I saw my life in a stranger's face
And it was mine" - Sia, Alive

My heart thundered inside my chest, each thump causing a dull ache to increase in my chest.

Mate.

It's not possible. My wolf can't be right, surely she's delirious from leaving me so long? Whatever it was, the man held my gaze with his beautifully cerulean eyes, alight with an unknown emotion. His face was naturally tan, with dark hair tussled on top of his head handsomely. I thought he might be Italian or maybe Greek. Either way he was handsome, too handsome to be ever considered as my mate.

And an Alpha.

Immediately I came to my senses, shaking away the daze and lowering my eyes quickly as a sign of respect. My head tilted to the side, exposing my neck in submission - an action I was well accustomed to. My fingers shook as I fumbled with them, trying to calm my erratic breathing and ignore the compulsion to launch myself at the man...or out of the door to safety.

"Mate," he whispered, eyes burning metaphorical holes into my head with the intensity. My wolf howled with pride, strutting around in my head like I just won the lottery. Her prideful arrogance surprised me, but also ashamed me, how can I not know my wolf's own personality? She was supposed to be a part of my soul.

The Alpha strode up towards me, maneuvering around his desk. I shuffled backwards, taking tiny steps away from him. I let my hair fall into my face, an effort to hide even though I knew it was futile. My neck ached with the strain of keeping it tilted, but I wouldn't dare disrespect him.

He was in front of me too soon, reaching out a hand to my head. I flinched, knowing the blow would hurt, especially from my supposed mate. He growled softly, only making me shake more in fear of him, then his hand was against my cheek, tilting my head gently back into its normal position.

He studied me intently as I squirmed, hating the feeling of his hands even though deep down I craved and rejoiced in it. That part of me was quashed by logic and experience. My heart was pounding, the rhythm had been unrelenting since I entered the room and I knew he could hear it. He sniffed the air deeply and I feared he would be repulsed by me, as many others had been.

"Mine," he claimed calmly, fingers brushing hair away from my face, "There is nothing to be afraid of."

I didn't believe it for a second. I was from his enemy pack and even then nobody would want a runt as a mate. As a Luna. The thought made nausea churn in my stomach and I could feel my face turning ashen.

He noticed.

"Are you okay?" the concern was evident in his voice, but I felt even worse knowing he'd hate me when he found out who I was. I nodded, even though I felt horrible.

"You're not." He established, and looked to Ebo who had been standing dutifully silent behind us. I worried he'd hurt me for answering dishonestly.

"She was just discharged from hospital." Ebo stated, smiling but his eyes grave.

"Hospital?" the Alpha repeated, worry lining his face and his hand moved to cup my cheek. He wasn't looking and I wondered whether his touching of me was automatic. I didn't like it and hoped he'd leave me alone, but I couldn't exactly tell him that. Instead I shook with fear, thoughts running wild around my head of how easy it would be for him to hurt me with his hands so close to my face. The warmth that was supposed to be comforting only felt cloying and oppressive.

"She's the rogue girl that Hazel and I found three weeks back, she was in a bad state."

The Alpha growled at this, loud and terrifying. I blanched, ripping myself away from his hands in my haste to escape. My eyes widened in horror at my mistake and I cringed, throwing my hands up protectively to prepare the pain. I was only met with silence, the anticipation awful as I stared at my mate.