Nook

The time dragged on slowly, I stayed quiet after my outburst and instead ate what little I could under the watchful eye of Ezio. He was nice...I think, he scared me. As Cesare's brother I was inclined to tolerate him, but that made him no less intimidating.

Cesare was always engaged in conversation, attuned to his pack's needs and demands, polite, even when a conversation turned sour.

They let me be, besides Ezio's staring, and it was bearable. I didn't look at anyone at the table though, the commodity of sitting around a table with others overwhelming enough. I hastily leapt to my feet with relief as soon as people began to clear the table, grabbing my plate swiftly to silently tiptoe into the kitchen. I was familiar with this. I'd be able to pay them back for their kindness - while it still lasted at least.

A teenage boy with shocking ginger hair was busy filling up a bowl with soap, a little girl stood by his side, a black checked dishcloth in her hands. I carefully set my plate down on the kitchen side with a soft clunk and grabbed a stack of dirty cutlery, sneaking my way over to a second sink - avoiding attention from the two.

"No, Dana." A voice scolded and my head shot up, worry and fear amounting at the stern look the boy sent the little girl's way. My breath caught, anticipating the first cruel show of pain that I would witness at this pack. Instead of apologising or running away, the girl giggled.

"What!??" she screeched, whacking him on the back of the legs with the cloth.

"Dana!" He almost whined, a frown on his face, but his eyes were alight with humour. I sighed internally, of course they would be kind to each other. Siblings acted like that back at the old pack didn't they? I was the problem.

I opted to ignore them, hoping that was the right thing to do, and began scrubbing the dishes. I revelled in the normality of this routine, the warm and soapy water grounding me to something I knew - even in this crazy whirlwind of affairs.

"Who's that?" the little girl whispered loudly, Dana, I presume.

"Hello?" someone called. I didn't look up, assuming it wasn't meant for me. I didn't want to take any chances. "Hello?" he called again and tapped me on the shoulder.

I whirled in fright, soapy hands splattering water on to the tiles as I brought them up to defend myself.

"Sorry!" He cried, quickly stepping back, "I didn't mean to startle you."
I nodded, heart pumping fast. He smiled broadly.

"Hey, I'm Devan and this little monster is Dana," he introduced, tickling the girl on her sides, she laughed and squirmed. "She's my sister," he clarified after, "and she's only six."
"The best age!" she exclaimed, "Devan thinks he's all grown up 'coz he's fifteen, but he ain't!"

Devan chuckled quietly.

"So, what are you doing in the kitchen's?" he asked, "It's my families turn to wash the dishes and Alexa is meant to be doing her job but I bet she's sneaking out with her mate, again."

He rolled his eyes.

"I, er, well....I wanted to be useful?" I asked, unsure what he wanted me to say. I thought it would've been expected of me.

"That's very kind of you," he complimented me. "Dana here, loves drying up, don't you?"

She scrunched her nose up and shook her head, little ginger pigtails whipping around her face. He laughed and I smiled, a little, at her antics.

"She gets chocolate for it though, not that I ever do." Devan complained, pouting his lip comically as he dunked his hands back into the wash water. He handed Dana the first clean plate and she took it, rubbing the white plate with a very concentrated look - her tongue sticking out with the effort.