Moonlight Sonata

This one's for Fiorella xx

We were sat around a big conference table, apparently located in the left wing of the house, I was sat at Cesare's right and Fenton was at his left. Lily was next to me, and the rest of the designated 'important' people were seated elsewhere along the square cherry oak table.

Cesare drew all their eyes to him when he stood up, leading me to withdraw further into the back of my chair; it already felt improper to be involved in the meeting at all – let alone be at the head of it.

"As you should know, the Luna and I are leaving for the Mountains at the summoning of the Eye. I need to get a team together, both for administration here and to accompany us."

I looked around, most were nodding their heads to his words, Ebo (the first member of the pack that I met) was furiously typing on a laptop – presumably transcribing what Cesare was saying. I wasn't sure how to respond to this situation. Cesare continued.

"I need my Betas," he nodded at both Fenton and Lily, "To lead the pack here in our places, should anything happen to the pack you are immediately responsible. I expect full co-operation from the remainder of the pack."

He then looked down at me, as if for confirmation in his decision. I shrugged, trying to convey my utter irrelevance in this matter, I was certainly out of my depth. He seemed to recognise that as my answer and turned back to the table.

Adrian put up his hand.

"I offer my services to you as Pack Warrior, I will accompany you on your journey." His voice was assured and never wavered, even under the weight of the attention of the whole room.

Celia looked up abruptly, her gaze locking with her mate's over the top of the stack of folders in front of her, "Excuse me?" she challenged, an eyebrow raised. "I'm sorry but if you're thinking about going without me...?" she scoffed, "I'm coming."

Adrian instantly began protesting to which Cesare cleared his throat, his terrifying stare piercing through the couple. He commanded the room with his stature, his voice...It baffled me that he considered himself an incapable Alpha – he could be scary.

"You may both come, I was thinking of having Celia on our team regardless since we'll most likely need her engineering expertise anyway," Cecelia was practically glowing with the praise.

"We're taking the 2015 model Toyota Hi-lux right?" she asked, then narrowed her eyes, "Please don't tell me you want to bring the Volvo s80!?"

The incomprehensible words just washed over head, Cesare however, appeared offended, "Of course I'm taking the Toyota! The Volvo is awful off-road!"

She unleashed a dramatic sigh of relief and the meeting could continue – I realised Ebo had stopped typing during their argument; so I assume it must've been irrelevant.

"Right," Cesare began again, "As of yet we have Adrian and Cecelia on our expedition team. I would like to propose Chloe and Ebo also to accompany us."

Chloe nodded in confirmation, but Ebo shook his head and stopped typing, "With all due respect Alpha but I believe my services are more useful here to protect the pack. Hazel is top priority."

"Right, yes, of course," the Alpha agreed, "Do you suppose Alison can afford to come with us? A doctor would be an invaluable member."

Ebo shook his head, "No – she's the most qualified member of our medical staff, we couldn't afford to lose her. Although I heard Elma was training to be a pack doctor?"

"Qualified actually," the ex-Luna, Gena (Cesare's mother) corrected, "She should go and Tide is a great fighter too; they should both come along. I don't suppose my brother would mind."