Alpha Arden

Eden and Cesare would like to formally apologise for their absence, they've been glamping on a goat farm with minimal Wi-Fi. Elma would also like to say that she is sorry the author keeps procrastinating and that the author needs to remember her characters are more important than the goats.

"Well then, Will," Cesare countered, his voice hinting his suspicion of the stranger with the gun, "What is your business here?"

Will smiled warmly – it was the kind of smile that made you trust someone, even when you probably shouldn't. He bowed, his hand in a fist on his chest, over where his heart would be. It seemed like an overly formal gesture and one I didn't understand.

"My name is Will," he reinstated, "I am a Prognostication Protector," he paused, "It means I guard the Eye and the Oracle Sisters, I was sent here personally by the Eye to protect you." He looked at me and I shrank back against Cesare, "And it seems like your mate needs it."

Cesare growled; I could feel the vibrations on my back, from where he held me against his chest, "I am protecting her."

He nodded respectfully, "Of course, Alpha, but the Eye wishes her safe passage. From my journey here it seems we have a lot to contend with. That was no simple rogue attack."

"Then what was it?" Chloe demanded.

He turned to her, "It was most likely an attempt to prevent Eden from reaching the Smokey Mountains and testifying at the trial."

"What business do rogues have with my mate?" Cesare interrogated; the bond was thrumming with dominant energy, fuelled by Cesare's suspicion and concern. I was glad I had his protection with me.

"Eden is the focal point of a whole mess of affairs," Will replied, "All packs have secrets, and once the worst are revealed, everyone's evils will come to light. Her old pack will be damned if they let her testify against them – no-one wants to be stripped of their wolf and we all know that is what will happen."

"We do?" I asked, causing Cesare's arms to tighten around me.

Will's eyes softened, "Unfortunately it is the most likely consequence I can see, knowing the Eye as I do."

I frowned, trying to block out the turmoil that that knowledge would cause in my mind – now was not the time.

"You see, Will," Cesare began, "If I do indeed believe you are who you say you are, then I still cannot trust a wolf with a gun."

"Again, please forgive me," Will moderated, "It was the quickest way I could think of to dispel the conflict. The gun itself is not mine: I was attacked by hunters on my travels."

"So you decided to keep the gun as a souvenir?" Chloe scorned.

"I admit it does seem ill of me to do so, however, an unarmed man in the wilderness is a vulnerable one-"

"You have a wolf, do you not?" Adrian queried, and then scoffed, "Or is your wolf not worthy of a good fight?"

Something in Will's eyes flashed at the obvious challenge, but he conceded nobly.

"I understand the implications of a gun in wolf's hand, I would not presume to offend anyone and I would hate to be reduced to the level of a Hunter. However, the Eye does not value the gun in the same light, She only cares that there is a weapon, and does not concern herself with the type," he appeared to be genuinely remorseful, "Alpha I plead your permission to join your expedition and fulfil both my duty as a Protector and as a fellow Wolf."

Cesare let go of me and walked around me till we were level with each other, then took me a little way aside, "Do you trust him?" he asked, his eyes sincere.