Drowned

"Do you understand the implications of what you have told us?" The Eye asked the wolf, her piercing ice blue eyes calculating his reaction, assessing him.

"Yes," he said.

"You would sacrifice your pack for one?" She affirmed, face neutral and portraying no emotion to give away her thoughts to him.

"They have done enough," he said.

"And not you?"

"Yes, me too," he affirmed, "I didn't realise it until she was gone, that-that well, I had ruined her life. We all did, I should have done something I should have stopped-" he faltered, "never mind."

The eye cocked her head to the side.

"Why?" she said, "Why go to me, now? What do you get in return? Retribution? Nobody seeks that without a cost."

He shifted on his feet, "My mate, she uh, she's pregnant but I'm told she'll die."

The Eye nodded and waved her hand reverently, calling a Council member to her side, before whispering in her ear. Although he had excellent hearing, he could not make sense of the intelligible clicks and trills from her lips.

She turned back to him, icy eyes once more piercing his soul.

"The court shall hear your case. You wish to see your mate and child alive in exchange for your pack, position and your wolf. Those are the terms."

He nodded, "Will you punish my pack?"

She smiled, coldly as if she was mocking his childlike naivety, he was brave to come to her, but was still too young.

"Pup," she said, "We deal the justice that it is due, to Eden and to all others destroyed and ravaged by your people. Their fate is in our hands and Eden's is in yours."

He nodded, anxiety filling him at the unnatural thought of betraying his pack, but every time he faltered he remembered those haunting eyes as he held the gun to his sister's face.

"Leave me," the Eye ordered, "Until justice is served: Alpha Drake of the Mahery pack – kuze saphinda ukuhlangana."

**

"How long have you been out here?" Cesare asked, plopping down next to where I was straining to touch my toes – I was so very close and shut my eyes against the stretching pain of my muscles.

"Not long," I replied.

Cesare checked his watch, simultaneously shielding his eyes from the glaring sun, "Four hours? I'd say that was pretty long."

"I need to train," I told him, "I-I've got to get stronger."

Cesare's face turned to sympathy as I looked up, causing me to frown. I didn't need pity – I was a Luna.

"Eden, you don't have to change for me or the pack. You're not weak."

"I am," I replied resolutely, staring at him fully in the eyes for the first time. "I-I am."

Cesare sighed, "I don't want you to get sick."

"I won't."

"Look Eden, you don't have to fight for this pack or lead them, I'm perfectly capable I don't want you to push yourself-"

"I have to!" I retaliated, voice cracking, "What if he comes back, what if- what if I can't escape I need to be strong, I have to be."

"Oh." Was his only reply and I scowled up at him before standing up – "I'm going for a run."
"I'm coming with you." He said, insisting on following at my heels, I growled and jogged faster, entering into the forest. He was right on my tail and I had to speed up to avoid colliding into him – it was incredibly annoying. I turned sharply down a trail to my left, picking up speed as a dodged tree roots until I had unintentionally began running.