Chapter 7 -- I'll cut off your hand

Start from the beginning

"Della!" Their voices call out together. I balance myself on top of the five boxes and slam my hands on the surface of the floor above me. Now the hard part: pulling myself up.

Why couldn't I have super strength or the ability to fly at a time like this?

Trying to be silent is the trick. I don't want them to know I was down here unless I need to hold something above their heads. They continue to call my name for another two minutes; that's how long it takes for me to pull myself up.

I dust off my invisible hands and march through the closet door that leads to the basement. How did his apartment on the third floor lead to a basement just one floor below?

"She's gone, man. Smart move, taking those handcuffs off of her." Drake says to Owen in a demeaning tone.

"I did it to gain her trust." Owen remarks under his breath. I walk into the room and casually sit down on a bar stool at the small island countertop. While they continue screaming at each other, I allow myself to reappear slowly.

"She's not trustworthy, Owen. Just because she's Mason's sister does not mean she's a considerate person." Does that mean they consider my brother to be caring? Wow, they should see him at home.

At this point, I'm staring at them silently until Owen turns his head and does a double take upon seeing me. He stutters for a few seconds until Drake turns his head too. A slight smirk comes to my lips.

"Where did you come from?" Drake's eyes narrow at me.

I allow a small smile to form, "I believe you once told me I was from Heaven." I roll my eyes at the stupid pick up line. Owen's eyes widen. I suppose that was not the response they were expecting.

Drake crosses his arms, "Ha, very funny. Seriously, where have you been?"

"I've been here the whole time." I prop an elbow up on the counter and lean my back on it too.

Owen opens his mouth, "Why were you invisible?"

I glare at the both of them, "I'm sorry, I thought we were hiding from each other. My mistake." They share a look that reads busted, but they don't know I went down there.

"Della, I-" Owen begins. I wave my hand to cut him short.

"Just tell me what you have planned to take down The Undergrounds." I cross my legs to make the situation more serious. I'm tired of playing games.

Owen looks to Drake, but he throws his hands up to indicate he doesn't know anything. "Nothing is set in stone yet,"

I scoff. Of course. He kidnaps me, changes my identity, tells me I can be useful, and then doesn't have a purpose for me. Am I supposed to keep stumbling around this town, accidentally saving the day? Is it so hard for him to have come up with a plan by now?

"Okay, then it was nice knowing you. I'm headed back home." I hop off of the stool and walk towards the door.

"It isn't set in stone because I haven't completed the family tree." Owen huffs.

"What does that have to do with me?" I spit back, standing with my hand on the doorknob.

"I need your help to locate Steel Hawk's wife."

Drake is staring at the floor and Owen is looking at me expectantly.

"Why does she matter anymore?" I mock. She won't give us any answers anyways.

"We think she's the one that told Mickey to avenge Steel Hawk's death. With you pretending to be a new villain, Mickey might lead you straight to her."

It's all based on a theory. It's a dangerous plan. Don't do it, Della.

"So," Owen looks between me and Drake, "Is it a start?"

Drake doesn't make any eye contact with me as he gives in and shakes Owen's hand. Would I be the bad guy if I didn't try to locate her? Is this the way to seek justice? Or are we to leave everything as is?

"This isn't over, Della." The words echo through my mind. Mickey wasn't going to give up. Maybe I should be prepared for whatever comes next. If he's looking for Della, he won't be able to find her.

"Okay," I whisper, biting my thumb nail as I think the proposition over, "I'm in."

A/N
Golly, it is hard to find time to write in this book. I'm sorry if the updates come later and later but I am a reliable author; I always finish my books. It just may take me a while. Thank you for your patience!

How are we liking the story so far??? What do you think of Drake? Do you think Owen's theory is right?

Thanks for reading!
Always, Sunny