II

| Chapter - II |

FAMILY REUNIONS, MY FOOT

"Fahad, I've put everything into it's place! Are you sure you don't want to go get food? Take –" a bobbing head, with maroon faded in the strands of the hair, begins to suggest, unaware of the situation. The figures glides down the stairwell, the deep blue chiffon of her dress creating waves behind her. As her hand clutches the end of the bar and she turns, her mouth becomes parted and her mind processes no more.

Before Nawaz stand a group she has, quite honestly, not seen together for over two years – the last time being her marriage with Fahad. It is easily labelled as an unexpected situation. When she had gotten off the phone with Emeraude two days ago, she was informed last minute of the not so spontaneous family reunion that will be happening – their dear Emeraude and their father, Hugo Rodrigues, have been putting in their true efforts on making this occassion happen, for, understandably, a full ten months.

Nawaz bonds with Emeraude and Hugo more than their own children have, ecept for Rehaan. She understands why their hairs grey and why their family's fragile relationships bring them much sorrow. Nawaz is the daughter-in-law who treats her in-laws as if she was their own child. Her marriage with Fahad is well supported from the Rodrigues' due to the tonnes of care Nawaz holds within her and shares to those in need of it.

Unfortunately, her love failed to spread the core of the person she loves most – moreover, who needed it the most. Her caressing energy aren't successful in someone she cares about the most. Cautiously, she steps towards her husband, her eyes falling to find interest on the wooden flooring her feet lay on.

Excusing herself from the uncomfortability in the room, Emeraude pardons, "I'm going to be in the kitchen, just bringing out some last minute snacks. . if you're hungry. ." As the mother leaves, everyone glances at her from the corners of their eyes, to see the curls of her pitch black hair bounce.

Nawaz lifts her head, looking at the arrivals, only to, thankfully, spot Romeo, still standing by the archway of the living room, not making any moves to come in or feel at home. To put herself and, most importantly, Romeo out of their misery, she pipes up, "Romeo!" Nawaz walks over to him, not failing to see how his mouth instantly formed a smile when he sees her. She winds her arms around his torso and hugs him close, just as his arms envelop her, his palms squeezing her shoulders. His six foot two body makes it easier for him to plant a welcoming kiss onto her forehead.

"Hey, my fave sister-in-law," Romeo bluntly says, his annoyance slipping through the tone but his effort to be cheery not disregarded. His phone pings loudly, making him check it (sent 5:31, COREY: I'm coming over for the fucking English project, try not to be a dick.)  She slaps his arm before Nawaz says, "how about we go to the kitchen? Mom's made so much food, it's –" Her following words fade away as she tugs Romeo into the kitchen.

Francesco lifts his head and then turns to Rosanna, "I'm just going to be where the food is . ." With that, he, too, disappears, not caring about how reluctant he seems to not be here. Xavier follows him out, using the same excuse. Fahad moves forward, to step between the gap of Rosanna and Jésus. They are all, without a doubt, looking away.

Meeting the eyes with the people you once had forged, strong relations is immensely troubling. Fahad readjusts his posture, straightening his back and pocketing his hands swiftly. He lifts his chin, opening his mouth to form a few words. It is completely unlike Fahad Rodrigues to ever be lost of composure or to ever be at loss for words. Fahad thinks over all that went wrong and how they possibly could not ever recover from the trauma they faced. Pulling at the torn strings between him and his siblings, Fahad greets, "Hey. . .I - I heard Mom saying that she's made ravioli for all of us. She also wanted to catch the game with us, later on. ."