Three: The Orphanage

Start from the beginning

"I still don't have one. Yes. Are you telling me that he will be my roommate?" he asked them.

"Yes, Mikoto. You grew up under our watch and I know that you can take care of Kousei. So, can you stand up and join Agent Thea and Kousei to your room?"

Mikoto smiled. "That's fine with me."

He stood up, joined and guided them to his room.

When they got in Mikoto's room in which he had used for six years alone, he smiled at Agent Thea. "You should have told me that I will be having company, ma'am!"

Agent Thea slapped his back. "I leave him to you, okay? You will brief him on some things again. We already briefed him about a few things and we wish that you do take care of him."

"Why do you always get me to look after new orphans, anyway?" he asked them.

"Since I know you are the 'brother' in which everyone looks after. He's still in trauma, so, talk to him gently, okay?" Agent Thea informed him.

That's when he looked at Kousei whose eyes seemed blank. He always pities those fellow new orphans who arrive in the institution who act so depressed. Kousei also looked at him after he was handed to him.

The two agents left after a while and so, he told him that he can sleep under his bed.

The bed inside was actually a double bed and there were two cabinets inside. Mikoto helped him organize his things after he took the trolley beside him but after a while, he noticed that his roommate was truly very depressed.

"Why does everyone look happy and I'm the only one who is depressed?" Kousei asked him. "My mom and dad are both gone! Our parents are dead and gone. Aren't you sad?"

Mikoto smiled and hugged him. "I know it's hard. Every one of us here experienced the same pain as you do. I hope in the end, you will be happy again and cope up here."

Kousei just continued to cry.

After a while, when his sobs were slowing down, Mikoto helped him lie down on his bed. He laid down and hugged his own legs sideways. His tears kept on flowing down his eyes but after a few minutes, his eyes closed automatically.

Mikoto opened up the cooler inside his room and covered him with a blanket. He believes that he can brief him tomorrow since he had just arrived and most of the new orphans are truly depressed for the first few days.

...

The next day, Mikoto woke up from his bed to wake his new roommate to ask him for breakfast and brief him on the schedules in the institution.

"Wake up. Breakfast is scheduled from 8 am to 10 am. After that, we all go to the classroom to do our usual bonding practices," he told him but Kousei doesn't seem to mind him. He still continued to talk to him, anyway. "After lunch, we all go to our separate classrooms according to our grades. Since you were taken custody here, you'll finish your junior high school here."

"I don't want to go. I'm not hungry," he answered him. "You can go on your own."

He sighed. He doesn't want to force him so much. He left the room to go and leave to eat. He had spent some thirty minutes in the canteen and joined his friends.

...

He just acted the way he always does that day but after he returned in his room for a lunch break, he found Kousei's right wrist bleeding profusely, staining the bed.

He froze in shock for a while but since he knew he had to do something, he ran out of the room to call for help. Even if he only knew him for a night, his heart is very soft for his fellow orphans.

After he saw Kousei, he knew he wouldn't just treat him the same as the others and his love for his fellow orphans would be tested after Kousei arrived. He rushed to get a towel to cover up his large wound. He also found him breathing painfully, as well.

Mikoto always believed that after he arrived in the private orphanage, he may have lost his foster parents but he gained a lot more people in his life. His life became more colorful and more meaningful as he treated his fellow orphans his brothers and sisters. His family became larger.

Doctor Natoshi Haruto who's thirty-five years old, quickly put a betadine and gauze around Kousei's slit wrist to stop the bleeding. After a while, he struck a needle of an IV bag on him. Kousei woke up and tears flowed down his eyes. His wrist hurt so much but to him, the pain in his heart was more painful. He can't believe that someone called to save him from death as he wanted to die. That's what he dreamed for.

He was immediately brought in a clinic where he stayed overnight after he was given some medicines.

Agent Hana and Agent Thea, the officers that took him into custody were so shocked to know that he attempted suicide.

Both of them felt so much pity and so, they chose to stay beside Kousei who's sleeping in the clinic. She held his right hand tight.

"Please think about those who love you who are still here and alive, Kousei," she cried out to him. "We may have only known you for a few days but we care for you."

A/n: If you like this chapter, I hope you leave a comment below! Thank you do much for reading!