Chapter 27: Reconnection Fail

"Yeah me," Zach said standing in front of the bed with his arms crossed. "What are you doing here?" I said wanting to know answers and why on earth Iza brought him here! I looked anywhere but him. I just couldn't look at him at the moment.

I knew he was walking towards me by the sounds of his footsteps. "Lena, I'm here to talk to you." He said in a calm voice. I don't know how on earth he is being so calm right now! He is talking to me! I've been ignoring him all week, for weeks! I haven't talked to him properly since Luke came into town.

"Why on earth would you want to talk to me? I've been ignoring you all week!" I said kind of frustrated. "That. That's what I want to talk to you about." He says. I looked at him confused. "What?" I said. Zach sighs and looks me dead in the eyes. The eyes hold the truth, at least that what I've heard.

I can tell he doesn't like the attitude I've been giving him or the silent treatment, but it's for his safety. "Why are you ignoring me and why won't you talk to me? Ever since that Luke guy came into town you haven't side 1 word, actually, you haven't said one word to me directly since you got released from the hospital." He says to me, pissed I could tell.

I look around the room. Trying to buy as much time as possible. I wasn't going to speak. I don't want him to get hurt because of my stupid actions! My stupid life! My stupid everything! "Lena?" Zach says trying to get my attention. "What do you want me to say, Zach?" I said to him a little angry.

"Anything! The truth about what's going on would be a nice place to start!" He said throwing his hands in the air in frustration. I wanted to burst into tears at that very moment, but I knew I had to keep going, not just for his sake, but for mine as well.

I began to walk back and forth, pacing to try to figure out what I'm going to say, but what I wanted to say didn't come out. "I don't want you to get involved. I can't tell you, or you will get hurt, Zach!"

"You don't want me to get hurt? Lena are you fucking crazy right now! Why on earth would I get hurt, what the hell is going on Lena, tell me the truth, now!" Yep, Zach was beyond pissed at me. He kept asking me questions left and right, and I didn't know what to say or how to answer them. "Stop asking questions!" I said.

He looked at me for a moment. "Why? I want to know the truth Lena, all you keep doing is lying to me! You know I can't stand lying so why go and do it? To protect me? Lena, I don't need protecting! You're acting just like my father right now! Always keeping dirty little secrets!"

Tears were going down my face. I hated lying to him. I really did! I don't like lying to anyone, yet my whole life that all I've been doing. My life is a joke. I don't even belong here! I should have stayed home on my birthday like I was told to. I shouldn't have defied my mother and father, or else she would still be alive.

It's my fault she is dead, and it's my fault that Zach is angry with me. Always my fault. "Lena!" Zach says knocking me out of my trance. "What!" I shouted in frustration, like seriously! Can't I think harmful thoughts without being interrupted!

"Did you listen to a single word I just said?" He asked. I remember him talking about his father. "Zach, who is your father?" I asked him. He looked at me like a was stupid. "What kind of question is that? Why do you want to know anyway, hm?" He said.

I walked over to the bed and sat down, folding my hands in my lap. "I just need to know okay?" I said to him. "Great, more secrets!" He said crossing his chest. "Secrets, man I hate them." He said.

"So do I, but this one I have to keep or you, or your mother, or anyone else may get hurt! I couldn't be able to deal with that pain Zach. I would hate to know that someone tried to get to me by hurting you or anyone else I love!" I said. "Just tell me his name, Zach."

He looked at me like he was frozen. I don't know why he would be acting this way, but I don't care, I want answers! "Fine, if I answer your question, you have to answer mine." He said.

I nodded my head. He then told me the answer I was hoping wouldn't be true. "Marcus Holt." He said his name in disgust like Mack once had done on many occasions. I froze when I heard the name. I can't believe it.

Zach's father is the most wanted gang leader in America. I had to do research once I knew Luke was in a gang, a very powerful gang at that. That was a long time ago though. "Lena, have you met my father?" Zach asked.

"Lena?" Zach said a bit, okay a lot, worried. "No, I haven't," I said lying to him once again. "Lena, stop lying and tell me the truth." He says. "How do you know I'm lying?" I said to him.

"I can see it in your eyes Lena, plus you always fidget with that necklace. I'm not the only one who has noticed that Lena, Iza, and Amy have too. We just want to help you, but you keep pushing us away." Zach says.

I stop fidgeting with my necklace, the one my mother gave to me a long time ago. I told him the truth. "Yes, Zach, I know your father, I've met him. Is that what you wanted to here?"I said to him. "Lena--"Zach started but I cut him off.

"No, that was your question now leave!" I said pointing to the door. "No," Zach said coming closer to me. He stood right in front of me, never leaving my eyes. I couldn't even if I tried.

"Yes, now leave!" I said to him again, shouting a little more. "Like hell, I'm leaving you, and no that wasn't my question so it doesn't count." He stated. "Ugh! Yes, it does Zach!" I fired back, pissed.

He rolled his eyes at me like I was a playful puppy getting angry. "Nope, now answer this for me. Who the hell is Luke? I know your friend back in Stormy Brooks mentioned him before and I want to know who he is and why the hell is he back here?"

I didn't want to answer the question, but I knew I had to. "I can't tell you without you getting hurt!" And I would get hurt too, but I didn't mention that to him. "Yeah, okay like I can get any more hurt by some guy than I can when you don't even talk to me, Lena!" Zach said.

I throw my hands up and looked at him dead in the eyes before I spoke. "Zach. Read my lips. Luke. Is. Dangerous. Okay. Now get the hell out of here!" I said before pushing him out the door, which was surprisingly unlocked, Iza must have moved the barrier or whatever she had put up, and slamming it in his face.

I then slide down the door and buried my head in my knees with my arms wrapped around my legs. I said one thing that I hope he didn't hear. "I don't want you to get hurt because I've fallen in love with you." My father was right.

Love is blind to the truth.