57 - Welcome to the Family

Start from the beginning

Emily turned to look at Hanna, who, in her humble opinion, deserved the title "genius" tattooed on her forehead. Once she noticed the reassuring smile stretched on her face, Emily knew she had to go through with her plan. If not for her and Alison, then at least for poor Hanna's sake, who'd lost hours of her life she could never gain back.

And she did. Hanna escorted her to the bus station, and after seeing the still-worrisome expression on Emily's face and calling her pathetic, she dragged the brunette into the bus and rode with her all the way to her destination and back. Fortunately, the plan remained in tact.

XXXXX

Alison sighed blissfully as she fell into the bed, her wide smile not faltering a bit when the back of her head accidentally hit the headboard. The sharp pain came a second later, and she groaned quietly as she held her head. She sat up, grimacing, but when her eyes landed on her cell phone's new screen saver - a picture of her and Emily that Aria took, forehead to forehead - she smiled easily all over again, her pain all but gone.

The birthday breakfast Emily had taken her to was nothing short of perfect. The brunette was polite and well-mannered, so going with her anywhere respectful was fun. Emily had taken her to a charming place in the next town over, and the food there was extensively delicious. The girl had even secretly asked the staff to sing happy birthday to Alison and embarrass her in the most pleasant of ways. Emily brought her home just in time to prepare for their late-lunch picnic with their friends, which they had scheduled to finish before nighttime, around the time when Jason would be taking her to dinner at a restaurant they used to go to with their parents when they were little. It was a busy day, to say the least, but Alison couldn't have been more delighted.

Emily had gone home, saying she needed to help her mom with something, and Alison simply lay in bed in the meantime, waiting for her. Jason wouldn't be home until tonight, when he would be taking her to dinner, and her parents were both at their separate workplaces, but they had told her happy birthday at the beginning of the day. Well, at least her mother did. Alison didn't really mind their lack of presence, her thoughts were far more preoccupied with the way Emily had smiled at her today, like she was the absolute center of the universe. Merely thinking about it, Alison got butterflies all over. She was turning into a real sap, and it was really getting pathetic in her opinion, but at least she was being pathetic with Emily.

Thirty minutes later, on the front porch of Alison's house, the fabric carrier shook slightly in Emily's hand as she paced, so she placed her other hand under it to hold it still. Great, she thought sarcastically as she realized now she had no hands for knocking on the door. She guessed her current logistical struggle served her right, for lying to Alison about needing to help her mother at home, but she couldn't exactly give away the surprise.

Sighing reluctantly at the extra work, she placed the carrier down and rang the doorbell, then lifted it back up and held it securely. When she heard footsteps approaching, she panicked again. What surprise would occur, per say, if she were to simply display her present the first second Alison opened the door? She needed to hide it, she decided. Swiftly, she hid the fabric carrier under the bench a few feet to her right, softly placing it on the ground in a position where it was mostly hidden from the door. When the front door opened, she had a quick moment to stand up before Alison stepped out, confused.

"What are you doing?" Alison asked in amusement when she saw Emily stumbling into a standing position next to the bench in her porch.

Emily shook her head, feigning innocence, "Nothing. Are those new shoes?"

Alison took one odd look at the brunette. She was biting her lip, smiling a little too naïvly, her cheeks flushed. Emily noticed that she was wearing new shoes. Emily. That fact alone had her narrowing her eyes at her girlfriend.