"It's...okay. I'm a bit overwhelmed at times but I manage. How about you? Cleaning up the streets of Gotham night and day I presume." I smirk and he chuckles at my dry joke.

"Not exactly, I'm pretty much a rookie. Just noise complaints and the occasional ticket to an angry pedestrian." He says and gives a curt laugh.

"I hope you weren't busy, I realized this morning that your father was planning to host a party for Harvey Dent today." He says genuinely and I give him a reassuring smile.

"No not at all, really I just look out for my dad. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I wasn't around all the time."

"He's probably just overwhelmed. That goes hand in hand with being one of the most successful men in Gotham. You in contrast—" he smirks and looks down at his menu before speaking again but in a higher mock tone.

"—the Princess of Gotham."

"Oh god please, not you too." I groan and frown, making him laugh.

"I mean, it's kinda hard not to think of it like that. Bruce Wayne's only daughter. His only family. It's refreshing to have a young and beautiful face that'll be around for a little while."

I blush at his compliment, not wanting to reply at the obvious. Yes, I'm my dad's only family besides Alfred. A scenic duo but quite dysfunctional behind closed doors.

After we finish ordering, I try to spark conversation.

"Let's talk about you, Officer Blake—"

"—please, please. Call me James. That title is so foreign to me right now." He chuckles, taking a sip of his drink before smirking at me.

"Okay... James. Where did you grow up? Are you a native of Gotham?"

He looks at me for a second before smiling slightly.

"You can kind of say that."

*

I felt like I was weightless. After our lunch date, I really got to know James. He's such a great guy and has been through some tough obstacles. I admire his strength above all. His enthusiasm and hope that Gotham can be better than it is makes my heart jump. A guy with a plan. Nothing more attractive than a guy who knows what he wants.

As I ride the elevator up to the penthouse, it's nearly six o' clock. I sigh and compose myself for the few party goers that may be early. I still have to get ready, as I'm only wearing some casual clothes. Alfred is the first person I see as the elevator opens. Before he realized it was me, he dipped the champagne tray towards me to take a glass. I smirk at his action as he quickly retracts the tray smoothly with wide eyes.

"I apologize, dear. I've been told by Master Bruce to offer anyone who walks through the doors a glass of liquid courage."

I nearly snort in response.

"Did you happen to offer him any while you were at it?"

He laughs at my joke, his smile never fading.

"I haven't gotten the chance to. I'm not sure he needs it though, Miss.Wayne."

I playfully roll my eyes at his formality and walk towards the back of the penthouse towards the secret stairwell. As I put my thumb print into the wall, I quickly and quietly push myself through and close the panel behind me. I make my way to my room and quickly go to shower, putting on some music to help me get ready. When I'm about to pick my dress, a round of rhythmic knocks erupt at my door. I sigh out of frustration. It's probably dad planning on rushing me.