Chapter 23

Ethan's P.O.V

I sighed when I woke up. I felt tired for no reason, I slept enough. I have to move today.

Another sigh.

Well, I gotta get up. I got out of bed and rushed to the bathroom. I took a brief shower and put my shower products back where they belong and my clothes I put them in a plastic bag with the rest if my clothes because... they're dirty and I'm leaving today. In an hour actually, crap I over slept a lot. I didn't do my hair. I'll be in a car most of the time anyways. I walked down the hall. My mum sat in the living room... what's going on?

I know her too well.

I need more friends.

"What's wrong mum?"

"We need to talk. Sit." I sat beside her.

"So, we have a unexpected... extra member coming along with us. He... needs help. I think we could offer that." I was confused, who's coming? Why?

"Who?"

"Alex." Alex is coming with us?

As in living? I am beyond confused right now.

"Why? What happened?" I asked confused.

"Let's just say, he had a... miscommunication issue with his parents. Look, that's not my story to tell, it's his." Weird.

I'm still confused though.

"So, he's gonna live with us?" She nodded.

"I can't leave him on his own. He has no where else to go." I understand that, but what happened?

"Yeah, it's fine, I get it." I smiled at her.

"Good. We umm... we have to go in an hour so bring down the boxes from your room." I nodded and rushed to my room for boxes.

There aren't many but I'm sure that some are pretty heavy and I'm, in case you couldn't tell, I'm not a big guy.

I sighed and lifted the first box before walking out into the hall.

"Hey." Alex stood on the hallway as if he were on his way to my room but didn't quite make it there.

"Hey." Way to be awkward Ethan.

I mentally sighed.

"So, umm... I was gonna go talk to you to say thanks."

"For what?"

"You know... letting me go with you guys on such short notice."

I smiled at him.

"It's okay. I don't mind in the slightest." I just realized I really don't mind at all.

Now the feeling of leaving for some reason doesn't make my heart so heavy. I didn't want to think about it so I pushed off to the side and tried to not think about it.

"Really?" He asked.

"Really."

"Oh, uh... thanks again... umm... need any help?" He smiled politely.

"Oh, hold on let me go out this one away. Some of the boxes are really heavy." I rushed to put the box in its place and rushed back inside.

"Hey, can you help me lift this box." He smiled and nodded.

We lifted the box together and walked to put it in its place.

..:::..:::..:::..

When it was all packed up and ready to go we all got in the car. After my mum took a quick power nap obviously. There are things in the front seat so Alex and I were both in the backseat.

"Please put your seatbelts on. Working on this case is making me a little paranoid." We did as she told us and she smiled in satisfaction.

"Feel free to nap or something, the drive is long."

I can imagine how far it it seeing as she always took a long time to get back from there.

I looked out the window with my ear buds in. Alex just looked out the window. This must be hard on him, leaving the place he called home his whole life for a simple misunderstanding, I'm sure. Like when I was outed by my father, rudely so, I may add. I do wish someone would tell me what happened, I mean you can't just say, 'yeah, this boy here whom you used to work for is coming to love with us. I can't tell you why it's his job to do so.' How is one supposed to ask if it just happened, I bet he doesn't want to talk about it. I wouldn't.

When it's relatable.

Whatever maybe he'll tell me one of these day. If he doesn't I'd understand.

"What?" Asked Alex quietly.

Huh? Oh, crap I was staring.

"N-nothing I just... nothing." I looked back out the window.

Through my peripheral vision I could see him smile slightly. His smile almost made me want to smile too but I restrained myself.

Eventually I decoded I'd just go to sleep for a little while.

"Umm... Excuse me a-are you Ok?"

"Y-You're Ethan, right?"

"Yeah."

"I-I'm Alex nice to meet you." .

"Wake up, Ethan. We're here." Alex's voice woke me.

He sounded as if he'd just woke up himself.

"Yeah I'm coming." I said sleepily.

I brought my hands up to rub my eyes and exited the car. When my eyes adjusted to the light I nearly screamed. The house was huge, not bigger than Alex's but bit bigger than the guest house and our house before that. It is bigger than any house I've ever lived in. How good is this job my mum got?

Not to mention, the outside is beautifully decorated. The grass seems freshly trimmed, it seemed professionally decorated.

"It's nice isn't it. Steven and Jeremy, the boys who's case I'm working on, have a mum whose and interior house designer and exterior too. She's really good. She offered to help."

"It's really elegant, I'd say more than my parent's house."

I won't argue that she's good at her job but hearing Alex refer to his old house and his 'parent's house' gives me a weird feeling. I wouldn't say a negative one, like a tingle in my stomach.

"Maybe but you're parent's house is still pretty cool." I shrugged and began unloading the car.

"Y-you don't have to do that." I said.

"Well I have to do something. You guys were really nice to let me come it's the least I can do." He moved past me and into the house.

This is gonna take some time to get used to.

....:::::....:::::....:::::....

Late, I know, sorry. I'll get better at this I swear. Anyways I was at the library the other day and I got this book, it's called Panic by Sharon Draper and it's really fucking good. It's about a girl who got kidnapped and then raped and no one knows how to find her. I'm not done with it yet but now you jnow what's taking up my time. I'll try harder, really.

September 4, 2017