File 23: The One with the Bad News

Start from the beginning

Was I ready for such commitment? Was I read to walk around with a ring on my finger that legally labels me as his? Will this get into my jobs way? My mind is flooded with questions and the gears in my head are working very fast and hard. I'm not ready, I'm barely ready to be his girlfriend and it's been years, I'm still not ready. His eyes search for any kind of answer on my face, worry etched across his features. I bite onto my lip nervously, taking my first look at the ring and I'm breathless, the diamond sparkles so beautifully and I'm almost dazed by it - but I can't let the rock distract me from my answer. I'm not ready, we're not ready, I couldn't do this.

His breath is strangled once I take a step back, shaking my head from side to side, "No," I say in a voice barely above the whisper, "I can't," I add and he sadly closes the box, his hanging there as he fell onto both knees completely. "Ashton, please don't make it hard on me, please... I love you and I know I do, but I'm not ready for marriage, I'm my ready for that type of commitment." I'm pacing back and forth now as I spoke, "We're not ready, we couldn't even do this even if I said yes. We'd end. We fight so much, our trust for each other is a joke, and I just don't think it would work..." I turn to face him and tears are falling down his cheeks, one by one. I turn away almost immediately, wiping my own away.

"We could make it work, I swear, I'll fight with you less." His voice cracks and I stare up at the ceiling, brushing hands through dark, raven locks. "Abs, please. We can make it wok, I'll trust you, I won't question about you occupations, I won't. I love you, Abigail, please." He shuffles over to me, remaining on his knees. I cup my hand over my eyes to keep my from the sight, his hands wrap around my thighs and he stares up at me, begging.

"A-Ashton, no," I wrap my fingers around his wrists and slowly slide them from my thighs, his eyes are wide and he watches my hands remove his in pure shock, he falls onto his behind and leans his back against the bed, throwing an arm over his eyes. "I love you but this can't be, us, we can't be one, not anymore. I'm not ready for this, I never was ready for such commitment..." He doesn't even look at me, I squeeze my eyes shut and turn to gather my things. My mind is all fuzzy as I throw my belongings into my suitcase, moving faster than ever. I finally get all all my things and I'm lugging the thing out the door, but I had to say one more thing before I leave. I stop at the door and rest my hand on the knob, "Ashton, just know that I'll always love you..." There's no answer in return. I sigh and swing the door open, slamming it right behind me.

I roll my suitcase down the hall, my face drowning in tears as my hand flew to my chest in search of a necklace he had given me a while ago, but there was nothing there. I must've left it back in his room, I stop in my tracks and look back at the door down the hall but I decided against it. I just leave it, knowing that, that man I there will no longer want to speak to me, ever again.

~*~

I shake myself out of this trance and look down to his lips, the first thought on my mind was to kiss him and that's what I was going to do. My hand rests at the curve of his shoulder meeting his neck and I slowly lean forward, my heart racing as my lips pressed to his in a soft, gentle kiss. My lips lingered upon his for a second before I felt something strange at the tips of my fingers, my head instantly shot up and I pressed my ear to his chest - it was his heart, his pulse, it was there but it was just slow, too slow for anyone's liking. I jumped up in excitement, peppering his face with kisses before looking up to find Ariana and Harry smiling down at me, their hands gripping each others' tightly. A laugh elicits and I hug my arms around Ashton, laughter muffled against the crook of his neck. He was alive, he was still alive and there was still a chance to save him.

I look to the leader, the man that is watching our very move very intently. I grab hold of Ashton's cold hand and squeeze it tightly, "Please, let us save him. Let us take him to the hospital," I begged and his eyes narrowed into slits, "please. This man is incredibly important to me and I don't know if I'd be able to live if he were gone, hell, I hadn't been able to live since I left. I need him, I've always needed him in my life." I'm rambling and he puts a hand up to stop me from going on, he pulls his attention back to the gun he's observing, loading it up with extra ammo and cleaning it out. My eyes narrow into slits and I rise to my feet, digging my finger nails into the palms of my hands to contain the anger, "I'm asking you kindly, and as much as it kills me to be fucking nice to you, I'm doing it.... You got a lot of nerve, shooting him, got a whole lot of it. I will promise that when we get out asses out of here, and we will, I will fucking find your ass and kill you... And I'll make sure to make you suffer the consequences." Someone about this whole situation made my tone sound very cold and merciless and that caused the man to actually look at me, a devious smile pulled at the corners of my lips and his eyes widen just a bit.