Chapter 59

-Evelyn arrives at the gallery a little bit before 4; she decides to go inside and look around

-As she looks around she realizes that the gallery is about her and Jay so she goes back to the first frame to pay closer attention

-Evelyn sees that there are 15 frames with a small handwritten description under each one; in each frame is a doodle of a milestone in their relationship

-Frame #1: Evelyn's first day in Intelligence. Description: "As soon as you walked up those stairs into Intelligence, I was stunned by how beautiful you were in so many different ways. The way you carried yourself said that you were a force to be reckoned with yet in every other way you were the kindest person I had ever met. From the moment I saw you, I knew we could be so much more than friends."

-Frame #2: Jay comforting Evelyn in the locker room after a tough first case in Intelligence. Description: "Seeing you sitting on the floor crying so hard you couldn't control it broke my heart. That case was a tough case for all of us, but I think you took it especially hard since you found the bodies and it was your first case in Intelligence. I remember thinking I had to help you but I had no idea what to say to comfort you. Looking back on it, I think I said exactly what you needed to hear: That you'll always have the hard days but the good days make up for it."

-Frame #3: Jay brings Evelyn coffee every day. Description: "Looking back, maybe bringing you a coffee every day for 3 weeks made it a little too obvious that I liked you. However, you did seem to be the only person who hadn't noticed by then that I really liked you. Coffee was my way of getting you to notice me every day and in the end, I guess that obvious little thing I did every day really paid off." 

-Frame #4: Jay and Evelyn dancing at the police gala. Description: "Before I even showed up at the gala, I knew if I ever wanted a chance with you that I'd have to be a gentleman to you the entire night. When you walked down those stairs into the ball room, your radiating beauty took my breath away. As we talked and danced the night away the feelings I had for you multiplied significantly and I know that night is the night you finally realized you liked me too. Dancing with you, that's when I knew that one day I would marry you, and we hadn't even started dating."

-Frame #5: Jay making sure Evelyn is okay in the locker room after she was shot at in her car on the way to the district. Description: "No words could have described the worry I was feeling after I had heard that you had been shot at on your way to work. When you arrived and I saw that you were okay, the relief overwhelmed me so much that I almost kissed you. I would've, but thought it better to wait until after I decided to ask you out. Just knowing you were okay was enough for me that day, so I traded a real kiss for a kiss on the top of your head instead."

-Frame #6: Jay and Evelyn kickboxing together. Description: "After only the first evening kickboxing with you, I knew that it would be a great way to get to know you better and see more of you every day. However, when I asked you to go kickboxing with me I didn't realize you were so good and I got my ass handed to me each day. If it weren't for the time spent with you, I probably would've resented those kickboxing lessons and matches a ton."

-Frame #7: Jay and Evelyn at the Blackhawks game. Description: "My only intention when I invited you to the Blackhawks game was to ask you to be my girlfriend. I was ecstatic to be spending that time with you and meanwhile I was working up the courage to ask you out. I never imagined that the teams would be shot at, or that when we were closing in on the guy you'd be shot. Despite the drastic turn of events, I still think of the game fondly because of the time I spent with you."

-Frame #8: Evelyn in a hospital bed and Jay sitting beside the bed after they arrived at Med after the Blackhawks game. Description: "You probably didn't know this until now, but while Choi was stitching you up, Will asked me when I was going to ask you out. I told him I would've done it that night if the shooter hadn't interrupted our evening and Will just rolled his eyes at me. When I went back in the room, you looked like you had heard our conversation but I decided to let it go since you had been through quite the ordeal already and didn't need something else to think about. However that little glimmer of hope in your eyes as I sat down on the chair beside your bed and held your hand told me that you wanted us to be together too, and I resolved not to wait long to ask you to be mine."