Chapter 18

I go to the locker room after my paperwork has been filed and open up my locker. I take out the small first aid kit I keep on the top shelf and open it up. I pull out the band aids, gauze, tape, and anti-inflammatory cream. As I'm looking after the cuts and bruises I got from fighting off Jacob, Jay comes in and sits beside me on the bench. He watches me for a few seconds and then says, "Are you okay?"

I nod and reply, "I'm a bit banged up but I've had worse."

He nods and I finish looking after my injuries. As I put my first aid kit away Jay says, "Evelyn, how'd you manage to fight off a man twice your size? I don't even think I could've done that, and I was a ranger in the army. Hand to hand combat wasn't my thing."

I chuckle slightly and say, "I was a kickboxing champion before I quit to focus on my academy training. I probably would've made it to an international level of competition if I had stuck with it."

Jay smiles in awe and says, "That's amazing. Antonio actually owns a gym downtown. I usually go there after shift and throw a few punches. Do you maybe want to join me tonight?"

I smile and say, "I would love to. It'd be good to throw on the gloves again and get back into it. Do you want to meet there in an hour?"

Jay agrees and gives me the address for the gym. I rush to gather my things and then hurry out to the ghost car I'm borrowing from the district until my windshield gets replaced. I throw my things into the passenger seat and then start up the car and pull out of my parking spot.

When I arrive in my apartment I'm quick to heat up some leftovers from last night's supper. I eat as fast as I can and then go to my bedroom and pull out my kickboxing bag from the abyss that is my closet. I make sure my gloves, shorts, tank top, tape, and hair elastics are still in there and then exit my room.

Once I'm absolutely sure I have anything and everything I'll need I go down to my car and begin my drive to the boxing gym.

--------------------------------

Hey guys! Thank you so so much for 10 700 reads! 10 000 reads is a huge milestone, especially since I only started this book earlier in the year. You're all the best.

Also, I'm going on a leadership retreat next weekend and won't be able to update. My plan is that the weekend after I will. Thanks for being patient! -Becca