Chapter 10

Antonio and I walk out of the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Parlor downtown carrying two pizzas each. It's another boring day in intelligence with no case to work on so Antonio and I got the task of picking up our lunch.

On our way back to the district Antonio pipes up from the driver's seat by asking, "What's up with you and Halstead?"

I let out an exasperated sigh and reply, "Why does everyone keep asking me that?! My answer is the same, it's nothing. There is absolutely nothing going on between us."

Antonio shakes his head at me and says, "Everyone is asking because we've all noticed something between you two. It's not nothing because he's never acted quite like this towards a girl before. He wasn't even acting this way towards Erin when he had puppy eyes towards her and was head over heels for her. If Erin has told you anything about the several times they tried their hand at dating, then you know that that's saying something. Don't tell me that it's 'nothing' Evelyn because I know that it's 'something'."

I'm about to reply back when I realize that I am under no obligation to explain the whole thing to Antonio. I'm not some criminal he's trying to get an answer out of.

Once he's realized that I'm giving him the silent treatment he chuckles and shakes his head. I'm sure that he gets this from his kids all the time but quite frankly, I don't care. I'm done trying to explain to everyone that Halstead and I are friends and coworkers and nothing more.

After driving in silence for several minutes we finally arrive at the district. We both grab pizzas and begin the walk upstairs. We're almost at the top of the stairs leading into intelligence when Antonio turns around to face me. He looks me right in the eye and says, "If you and Halstead do ever decide to wake up and date, I think that if anyone could keep your relationship away from work, it's you two."

I nod and then we go up to the break room and lay out the pizzas. We all quickly grab a couple of slices and go back to our desks.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks for being patient for an update and for 4 230 reads! I hope that you all have an amazing week! -Becca