Chapter 6

When we arrive at the small wooded area where Melanie said she dumped the bodies we are quick to fan out and start our search. After ten minutes I trip over something and look down to see what it was.

I have to stop myself from screaming out in fear when I see that it's an arm. I take a deep breath to steady myself and then push the clump of branches aside to get a better look. My knees feel weak and blood rushes to my head when I see four sets of eyes staring up at me with blank, lifeless expressions on their faces.

I stand rooted in my spot as I look at their pale skin and slumped over postures. I take a step back and then weakly yell, "Over here."

Soon everyone else arrives and confirms that they're the people Melanie killed. Erin comes over to me, pats me on the back, and says, "As hard as it is to see this, it was a good find. Now they can be put to rest properly."

I nod and then Voight calls the morgue to get them to come and pick up the bodies. When they arrive they're quick to get the bodies transferred to bags and sent on their way. We all head back to our cars after that.

When we arrive Voight turns to all of us and says, "Good work on the case everyone. You can all head back to the district and start your paperwork, except for Olinsky and Evelyn. I want the two of you to go and let the father of the kids know what happened."

We all nod and I head over to Olinsky's car. We both hop in and then he starts the vehicle and pulls away.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for 1, 370 reads! -Becca