Chapter 26

I sigh as Erin and I finish our check in our fifth section of the night. She sighs too and says, "This is a real life needle in a haystack problem. We're never going to find anything at this rate with this many people."

I nod in agreement and then Voight's voice comes over the radio. "Everyone report to the south entrance immediately."

Erin and I nod at each other and make our way to the south entrance. We're last to arrive so after Voight sees us he says, "I have received direct orders from the Ivory Tower to begin letting people leave. We'll clear people section by section and the only exit will be the south. Here we will have thorough screenings so the shooter doesn't get past us again. Is that clear?"

We all nod and Voight splits us off into teams. Everyone in intelligence will be combing through the crowd looking for visual warning signs while the patrolmen will be bringing people up and running the security checks.

We're about halfway through clearing the lower bowl when gunshots ring out and a man in front of me falls to the ground. I look up and see a man pulling a gun back into the media box, out of sight once again. Jay is soon by my side and I say, "Hang low and meet me at the stairs for the media box."

He nods and we split up again. I make my way through the crowd as if nothing has changed but the second I'm out of sight of the media box I sprint over to the stairs. Jay and I meet up, rush up the stairs, and stop just outside of the box. Jay motions that he'll wait outside so I swing around so I can see the man inside the box and then yell, "Put your hands where I can see them!"

He puts his hands in the air but before I can even react he's grabbing a handgun from the table beside him. He raises the gun and the next thing I know a searing pain ribs through my arm. I drop my gun and double over in pain. I clutch my arm and kneel on the floor as Jay steps around me and throws the man to the ground. He slaps the cuffs on him and then gets on his radio and says, "Evelyn and I have the guy, media box on the east side."

Soon Erin and Atwater have arrived so Atwater takes the guy while Erin and Jay help me into a chair. Jay radios in an ambulance while Erin hands me a cloth to put overtop of the bullet wound. After Jay has finished with his radio he says, "You had me worried for a second there."

Through clenched teeth I reply, "Oh, it's just a little pinch."

Erin and Jay both chuckle and then Erin says, "C'mon, let's get you downstairs."

I nod and we head down. When we arrive the ambulance has just gotten there so I get all loaded up. We're about to leave for Med when Erin says, "Jay will go with you."

He nods, hops in the back, and then we take off.

--------------------------------------

Thanks for 26 900 reads! -Becca