Chapter 9

I smile at Halstead as he hands me my coffee. As he heads to the locker room I take a sip and then set the cup down. As I log onto my computer I can sense that Erin is watching me so once I'm logged on I turn to her and say, "What?!"

     She chuckles and says, "Halstead has brought you a coffee every day for the past three weeks. We've dated before and I can totally see the signs. What's going on between you two?"

     I shake my head at her and say, "It's nothing Erin. If you've dated him then you know that he's just a really nice guy."

     She turns back to her computer and says, "I'll let it go, but I really don't believe you hun."

     I shake my head as I grab my coffee and take another sip. As I set it down I look across the room and make eye contact with Halstead. He smiles at me and when I smile back he lets out a soft chuckle and turns away. I can feel my cheeks heat up as I turn away from him. I glance at Erin and see her shaking her head. She catches my stare and mouths, "Yeah, it's totally nothing."

     I roll my eyes at her and then Aunt Trudy appears at the top of the stairs. She clears her throat so we all turn our attention to her. She nods approvingly and then says, "The police gala to raise money for the injured captain at the twenty sixth district is tonight. His hospital bills keep piling up and the family needs help to pay for them. I expect that you will all be there to support him, especially since Evelyn is from the twenty sixth district."

     We all nod as Platt leaves. I glance over at Jay and see that he's already looking at me. We make eye contact for a few seconds before we both turn away, hoping that no one noticed our small moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks so much for 3 440 reads! I'll put a GIF at the top of Halstead that inspired the moment between Evelyn and Halstead.

This is the last time that I'll be updating until after my finals. I hope to update again in the afternoon of June 23rd, so stay tuned for that!

I hope that you all have a great weekend! -Becca