INTERLUDE 3

The dying astronaut drifts through outer space, the rest of his species completely unaware of his state and condition

The dying astronaut drifts through outer space, the rest of his species completely unaware of his state and condition. The people of Earth live happily on their blue-green planet, while one of their own drifts far from their realm, slowly suffocating.

The astronaut looks around him, capturing the gaze of his home planet hung before him. At least he can go with a marvelous sight. And when he is gone, he can continue his watch.

He does not have the strength to smile. He does not have the strength to sigh in awe. He observes behind a bulbous glass helmet with a dull heartbeat, a face of stone.

On that day, God must have been watching. He must have expressed pity for the amateur astronaut, floating to his death. He must have had mercy, and he must have granted one more spacewalk. Out of the corner of the astronaut's eye, a giant, white gloved hand emerges into his vision.

His body helpfully drifts him upside-down in the antigravity, the woman from the window coming into view. She has a warm smile behind her helmet. Her hand is outstretched, reaching for him. Pulling him back to life.

The blue planet bids him good-bye.