CHAPTER 50: AARON

It's a small thing hidden almost under the couch, out of sight, out of mind. A tiny little object that affects me more than any colossal thing ever could.

A miniature metal car, remnant from a Monopoly game.

I pick it up, fascinated. I twirl it in my fingers a few times, watching the metal glisten in the light. Asher must've forgotten to pack it after our game, and here it is, in my possession, the only thing with good memories that I have left of that night.

I've changed, since her. Or, at least, I've tried to. I managed to make it through one night with a girl other than her, but it was bizarre. It didn't feel right. She didn't talk to me – she did other things with her mouth, things most guys my age would be delighted to receive. I tried to spur a conversation, but she just covered my lips with her own. Is there anyone left after Asher, who gives a damn about something other than my body?

I let out a small laugh, pocketing the car. I've made many mistakes in my life, but this one, I regret most.

After my scuffle with Mark, the school suspended me for a week. I made sure to hack my mother's email account to message the Headmaster and say that she was notified, then deleted all remnants of the event from our voicemail. For the rest of the week, I spent my days by the lake, getting drunk.

Asher isn't in her usual teacher's pet seat when I come back on Monday. She's never late – she's always early. I usually have my fair share of sneaking glances in her direction during class, but today, there's nothing to look at except an empty desk.

"Someone's missing," a voice chimes, filtering through my thoughts. I look up. Corinna slithers her way towards me, seemingly too happy with the news she's delivering. She stops in front of me, mocking a pout. "Pity. Our favorite teacher's pet didn't show up."

"Yeah," I agree, without thinking. "Pity."

Corinna cocks her head, but doesn't dwell on my words. She doesn't dwell on anything, except trying to get me under her sheets again.

She sets a casual hand on my shoulder, staring down at me with a sugary smile. "You busy tonight?"

I purse my lips, looking straight ahead. Looking at the empty seat.

"Yes. Pity."

Corinna clucks her tongue, pondering over my words. It isn't the first time I've denied her request – she should be getting used to it by now.

"Does this have anything to do with Asher Thomas?"

Thankfully, the bell rings as soon as she questions me. I let out a quiet sigh as she stalks back to her seat, whirling to stare at me as soon as Mr. Riley walks into the room. She expects an answer – pity, she's not getting one.

I glance at the empty chair next to me, my lips stretching into a grim smile. The answer is, everything.

It has everything to do with Asher.

Becca Jarvis stops me at my locker after lunch, radiating ecstasy

Becca Jarvis stops me at my locker after lunch, radiating ecstasy. I'm not sure how so much happiness can be stuffed in such an ill-hearted person, but I've gotten my fair share of surprises lately.

"Hey, you," she grins, sidling up to me. I manage a grimace in response, closing my locker door. I begin walking down the hall in the opposite direction, but she follows me without skipping a beat.

Becca clucks her tongue as she sashays beside me. "I was thinking ..."

I feign no reaction, but that doesn't stop her from continuing.

"Do you want to talk?"

I almost freeze entirely, but continue walking. This is a joke. What else could it be? The only conversation that she cares about is her next hair appointment.

She whines, grazing her nails on my forearm. "I'm serious!"

I sigh, shaking my head. She pouts beside me, even managing to stomp her foot.

"Thanks for the offer," I say grimly, "But there's nothing to say."

On Tuesday, when I walk into yet another physics class lacking Asher Thomas, I start to worry

I tell myself everything's fine. I tell myself that she must be sick, but that only spurs memories of her migraines, and with Asher, 'sick' has a much different, much more daunting definition. She doesn't skip school. Hell, she hasn't missed a day since sixth grade. Heidi once stopped her from marching onto the school bus with a 102 degree fever. I'm wasting my time, caring about her.

I stop by Mr. Riley, loitering in the hallway, just to make sure.

"No Asher today?" I hint.

He squints at me, examining me as if looking at a piece of garbage. In his eyes, I'm sure I'm not far from that.

"Correct. I have not seen her today."

I nod, moving to rejoin my classmates.

"Hold on."

I freeze. My gaze is locked on the floor. I don't know what to expect – everyone knows that Asher was the only student Mr. Riley even tolerated, and with her missing, I'm sure he's going nuts. How he's going to survive the class today, I'm not sure.

"You were very close to her." Mr. Riley leans in, glaring up at me. "Surely, you must know where she is?"

I stuff my hands in my pockets, cheeks flaming. I wish I knew the answer.

"No, sir. I don't know."

He lets out a little hmph, straightening at his post by the door. "Just as I expected."

"What?"

He turns to me, staring me square in the eye. His next words catch me by surprise.

"You wouldn't know a jewel even if it were presented to you on a silver platter. You would buy a fake diamond over a rock filled with gemstones in a heartbeat." He sighs, shaking his head. For once, he looks truly sorry for me.

"Pity, it cost you the woman of your dreams to see that."