CHAPTER 15: ASHER

The one thing I was completely sure about was my complete, utter abhorrence for Aaron Blakely. I could taste the detestation on my tongue like sour candy. It was there. Unlike the many other things in my life, it didn't change.

Until, Chris Perry's party. Until he brought my unconscious body up to my room, and made sure I went home safely the next morning.

It was easy to hate him, after all that he did to Chloe. After all that he did not purposefully do to me – he was the only person I could recognize, the last thing I wanted.

However, the one thing I was sure about is currently in jeopardy. To loathe the person who stepped forward to keep me safe ... it's despicable, even for me.

I don't know what to think of him. I don't know how to act around him. For now, Asher will keep being Asher, with her lone planet and thick atmosphere. But, perhaps, with a few less meteors.

 But, perhaps, with a few less meteors

4th period. Physics.

Aaron turns to me, but Mr. Riley chooses that moment to enter the classroom. He smiles, closes the doors, and turns to us. "Projects, please."

I freeze. My blood runs cold. I slowly pivot towards Aaron, who looks quite bored. "You brought the project, right?" he asks. I slowly shake my hand, but Aaron is far from angry. His shoulders shake, his laugh quiet. "Asher Thomas," he sniggers, "How could you?"

I rub my face in my hands, groaning. Stupid, stupid, stupid. "I'm sorry, Aaron, really." I'm sure the last thing he's worried about is the project, but for the first time, I don't want to be the one to judge. "This is my fault."

I slump my cheek on my palm, groaning. My studies mean the world to me. How Mr. Riley will think of me after this, I'm not sure.

Mr. Riley stops at our desk, eyes darting between the two of us. His shiny forehead creases, wondering what's acceptable to say. He's barely holding it in; I can tell.

Finally, he mutters: "Project?"

I can feel Aaron's stare, wondering how I'll weasel myself out of this one.

"Mr. Riley."

He looks pointedly at me, the corner of his lip twitching with an effort to restrain a smile.

"I'm really sorry, but I left the project at home."

Giving in, he sits back on his heels and his face creases into a gigantic, triumphant grin. His cheeks tint pink. "Well," he says grandly, "What a pity."

I suck on my teeth and cast my eyes downward, hands locked inside my lap. I'm not one for forgetting assignments or turning things in late. Mr. Riley knows that, and he's also aware of Aaron's poor track record. This must be an early Christmas for him.

"We can turn it in first thing tomorrow," Aaron says. "Before school, or even tonight."

Mr. Riley taps his chin, as if genuinely thinking about it, though I wouldn't put that past him. By now, the entire class is watching us, with most of the girls exchanging excited glances. Anything to hurt my reputation is eaten up within seconds.