INTRO

A/N: Hello! This introductory chapter will not be what you're expecting, but it correlates with the story, I promise! :') The next chapter is the official start to the book, with Asher and Aaron, but there will be small interludes like this sprinkled throughout the novel.

The beautiful cover of this book is made by @trista- :) She's extremely talented - if you need a cover, she's the person you should go to!

Enjoy!

The astronaut is strapped into his seat inside the shuddering spacecraft, the vibrations scrambling his thoughts, if he had any in the first place

The astronaut is strapped into his seat inside the shuddering spacecraft, the vibrations scrambling his thoughts, if he had any in the first place. It is hard to think in the roaring machine, knowing that in a few minutes, he will no longer be on Earth – he will be in the great, vast cosmos.

The woman beside him smiles, lips curling. Her radiance does wonders – the astronaut can feel his nerves keel to her warmth, and lie down to sleep. Peace settles through his body like a steady stream, quelling his tension. With a sharp breath, he closes his eyes against the swarm of brightly colored buttons, and waits.

Five.

A handful of seconds, and he will not return to his home for two years.

Four.

However, there is no one home to return to, is there?

Three.

He will not miss anyone. He will not be missed.

Two.

He wants this. He wants space. He wants silence.

One.

With a scream, the shuttle leaves its base, beginning its slow ascent to the heavens. The astronaut's eyes flash open, watching the instruments around him shake and dance. The crew around him remains silent, knowing what it is like, knowing what it is coming. The amateur astronaut has none of that.

Unbeknownst to him, the astronaut is about to learn, in the most unimaginable way possible.