Chapter 3

We hurried to the gate for our plane and came across the queue of people waiting to board it. The queue moved quickly and we handed the woman our boarding passes, smiling as she let us past and down a ramp onto the tarmac outside. I looked in front of us and saw the huge plane waiting for us to board. I swallowed nervously and my grip around Josh's hand tightened slightly.

"You ok?" He asked, looking over to me.

"Just a bit nervous about the flight, I will be fine though" I smiled, trying to reassure myself more than anything.

"Don't worry, before you know it we will be touching down in South Africa" Josh said, squeezing my hand assuringly and gently pulling me along towards the steps up to the plane. I followed and soon we were walking down the length of the plane, looking for our seats.

"This is us" Josh grinned, pointing to the numbers above the seats to our right. He gestured for me to sit by the window and then followed me to the middle seat. As soon as we were both sat down and had our seat belts on, he took my hand in his and smiled as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Go to sleep" he murmured to me as I yawned and struggled to keep my eyes open. I felt really tired after today and felt so comfortable cuddled up to him.

I was about to drift off when I felt the plane start to move and I jolted up right. Josh chuckled beside me and squeezed my hand, watching as I looked out of the window. The plane was moving towards the runaway and I watched as it lined up, ready for takeoff.

The noise from the engines suddenly got louder, and the plane began taxiing down the runaway. I watched out of the window as the trees whizzed past us, my heart beating faster as the plane picked up speed. Before I knew it we were off the ground and climbing into the sky, the trees on the ground becoming smaller and smaller as I concentrated on them out of the window.

"Lily...Umm" Josh's voice broke my thoughts and I suddenly realised how tight I was holding onto his hand. I quickly let go and turned back to face him.

"I'm so sorry" I gasped, looking as his hands got their colour back.

"It's ok" he laughed, rubbing his hands together before taking mine back in his, "are you sure you are ok though?"

"Yeh, the worst part is nearly over" I giggled, "once we get above the clouds I will be ok"

Just as I spoke the plane began to shake and I glanced out of the window to see dark clouds all around us. I closed my eyes and buried my head in Josh's chest, thankful for his reassuring arms that wrapped around me.

The shaking seemed to go on forever until finally the plane stilled and levelled out. I slowly leaned away from Josh and looked out of the window to see the clear night sky around us, filled with lots of sparkling stars. I breathed out shakily and smiled shyly at Josh, "sorry for that"

"For what?" He asked, looking at me in confusion.

"For my reaction back then. Flying through turbulence makes me really scared" I admitted.

"That's nothing to be sorry about, it was pretty intense"  he smiled.

I smiled back at him and looked up as the flight attendant walked past us with a tray of drinks and snacks. She looked around our age, and was staring down at Josh, fluttering her eyelashes and smiling widely at him. He seemed completely oblivious to her flirting as he smiled back at her.

"Can I get you anything?" She asked, directing her question straight to Josh, pretty much ignoring my whole existence. I was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable, watching a girl flirt with my boyfriend right in front of me, but I wasn't usually the jealous type.