xiii.

Ryan can't sleep

Ryan can't sleep.

He's been lying next to Brendon as he sleeps for a couple hours now. He thinks it's been a couple hours anyway. He doesn't know what the time is.

Brendon's practically glued to Ryan's side and, Ryan wouldn't be complaining, but he really needs to pee.

He finds himself slowly trying to pry the boy from his side and when he succeeds, he walks quietly out of the bedroom and into the bathroom. He stops and looks into the mirror at himself. 

Emily was right.

He looks old.

Fuck. Twenty seven years old and he looks old. How does Brendon look next to him?

At least when they were sixteen and twenty four, Ryan didn't look that much older than Brendon. Did he? He never noticed. Now he's got a lot more facial hair than he'd ever allow himself to have, and Brendon still has a baby face. Maybe Ryan should shave.

He sighs to himself as he goes on to piss in the toilet and then he washes his hands. 

When he walks out, he doesn't go directly back into the bedroom with Brendon. He peeks his head in, seeing that Brendon is still sound asleep, which makes Ryan smile because he looks peaceful.

Ryan wanders to the living room and he sits on the couch, instantly making a disapproving groan. How the hell do they sit on this thing? It should be considered a fucking bench or something. And that just makes Ryan think of the benches that Brendon says he's slept on for months, saddening his heart even more.

He looks around the room and sees picture frames on the wall. Not many. Six to be exact.

One of them show Emily and two people on either side of her. Ryan thinks they must be here parents, considering they look a lot older than her. Just like Ryan. He's old.

There are two photos of Emily with Brendon, and Brendon isn't looking into the camera in either one. He's got his head down in one, with a barely visible smile while Emily is grinning from ear to ear with her arm around Brendon's shoulders. The second, Emily is making a funny face while Brendon laughs at her, seemingly a bit more happier in this one than the previous one.

Ryan notices that Brendon isn't in the other three, so he doesn't bother to pay much attention to them. He removes himself from the so called couch and heads into the kitchen.

As he examines the contents inside of the cabinets and the fridge, he finds that they really have next to nothing.

Just the basics.

Milk.
Bread.
Butter.
Eggs.
Cereal. And not event he good kind.

There are a few take out boxes and a pizza box and a bunch of bottled waters.

Ryan helps himself to a bottle of water and he makes his way back to Brendon's room.

Brendon is still asleep and Ryan isn't surprised. He smiles at the boy.