xii.

Ryan insisted that he drive Brendon to his apartment

Brendon insisted that he didn't have to.

Obviously Brendon had no say so in the situation, so they're in Ryan's car and are about to pull into the busted up concrete that the owner considers a parking lot. 

Ryan carefully pulls into a parking space as he examines the outside of the brick building.

It's quite literally falling apart.

"Please don't tell me you live here." Ryan says kind of desperately. He's hoping that Brendon is playing a joke on him. 

"Home sweet home." Brendon says sarcastically, pursing his lips and getting out of the car.

Ryan gets out and follows close behind Brendon, afraid that if he's too far away from him then he'll disappear forever.

When they go inside and start walking up the stairs, they creak under their feet and Ryan is scared that the stairs are going to break and he and Brendon will fall through to who knows where.

"Brendon." Ryan says disbelievingly. "You can't live here."

Brendon smiles softly to himself as he heads down the dark hallway to his and Emily's apartment. He loves that Ryan is showing that he cares about him, which he already knew, but with Ryan voicing it, it's making Brendon feel like his sixteen year old self again. Just for a moment.

He can hear Ryan mumbling things to himself, probably about the shitty apartment building, and Brendon is thinking to himself "just wait until you see the actual apartment."

Brendon puts the key in the lock and turns it. He turns the knob, opening the door, and Emily jumps up from the couch and rushes to the front door.

"Jesus fucking Christ." Emily and Ryan say in unison.

They look at each other, surprised expressions, and Brendon is looking at both of them with a raised eyebrow.

Ryan looks around, feeling like he could puke. The apartment looks very much similar to the house he used to live in with Brendon. 

"Where the hell have you been?" Emily asks, wrapping her skinny arms around Brendon and pulling him into a hug. Brendon hugs back, but not as tight.

"Emily, this is Ryan." Brendon ignores her concerned question and introduces his roommate to his -wait, what are they? "Ry, this is Emily."

Ryan still melts whenever Brendon calls him the nickname.

"He was with me all night." Ryan takes it upon himself to let the girl know where Brendon was. She stares at Ryan like he's some sort of criminal or something. "Don't worry, I didn't hurt him." He adds. "Not too bad anyway." He smirks at remark that was mostly meant for Brendon and himself, and he's kind of hoping he said it quiet enough so that Emily didn't hear him.