vii.

"I thought you planned on staying for a few days?" Ryan says to Brendon as he squeezes his hand

"I thought you planned on staying for a few days?" Ryan says to Brendon as he squeezes his hand. They're still in the car driving on the highway back to Connecticut.

Brendon shrugged and squeezed Ryan's hand in return.

"I did but when I got there and I saw the cops in my house and my parents acting like they gave a shit, I just acted out and things changed." Brendon sighs to himself and stares out the window of the passenger side door. The only light coming from streetlights and headlights.

"Well I'm glad you changed your mind." Ryan pulls Brendon's hand to his lips and kisses it. "Did they ever say how they found you?" 

"Apparently someone saw me get on your motorcycle and then they got into the traffic camera footage and followed it until we got here. I don't know all of it, but I'm hoping they don't track it all the way to your house." 

"Me too." The two of them remain quiet for the rest of the ride, which to Brendon felt like it was taking longer than usual.

Mainly because it was. Ryan noticed a car behind them a while after they were on the highway and every time Ryan switched lanes, so did the car behind them. He took a different route to try and lose the person who is obviously following him, but it isn't working.

"Why does it feel like this is taking longer than usual?" Brendon asked through a yawn.

Ryan checked the rear view mirror again, and the car was still there.

"Don't freak out." Ryan says calmly to Brendon, making Brendon nervous.

"What? What's wrong?" Brendon begins to panic, his heart racing in his chest.

"A little while after we got onto the highway I noticed a car behind us and it's still there." Ryan continues to remain as calm as he can because he's driving and because he doesn't want to cause any suspicion to himself. 

Brendon starts to bite on his nails and he's freaking out a little because what if they followed him from his house?

Ryan heads for the exit ramp, cutting across two lanes and the car follows them. Ryan is definitely starting to worry now.

He continues driving until he sees a gas station with other cars parked at it, just in case this person is dangerous. As soon as Ryan parked the car at the gas pump, he saw flashing red and blue lights behind him.

"Fuck." Both of them say simultaneously. "Just stay calm." Ryan says to Brendon, handing him a hoodie that was lying on the floorboard at Brendon's feet. "Act like you're sleeping or something. Just try and cover the side of your face so he can't see you." 

Ryan sees the man exit his car and begin to approach him. His heart is pounding in his chest, he's trying to be as calm and positive as possible but the closer the man gets, the more nervous Ryan becomes.