Chapter 54: Homecoming

There was no body to bury, only the memories of Cyren, who died a hero in defense of his people. A memorial was held, and a statue was being erected in the city's main square to honor the fallen Prince. Adara, argue as she did, was not allowed to attend the memorial.

It had been a week since the war ended. Large delegations had been sent to the six cities to observe what would need to be done to rectify the wrongs that flooded the planet by the actions of Adara. The military force within Odeima would need to be reshaped entirely. The loyalties of Diana of Fel would be tested to be proved worthy of her place. Pieces of Davora would need to be rebuilt. Emry, Manonva and Teirm had their own problems needed to be dealt with, and they would be dealt with.

Aeron had assumed the throne. It fell to Aura, first, but she refused, giving the same reasons she had said to me. She, instead, offered it to Aeron, who accepted conditionally. The conditions were that Aura would remain in Corusca as long as Aeron felt necessary. That she would sit in on councils and other important events expected of the King. Finally, that she would offer and heed counsel as an advisor would.

Aura agreed, gladly.

Many other tasks would need to get done, towards which I offered my aid, but Aeron, Aura, and the Kunga refused. I was glad they did. I offered because I had already come this far, but they clearly understood where my desires lay, and turned me down.

I strode out the main doors of the castle, where I had been staying for the past week. Aeron sat on the top-most step, staring out at the city sprawling out before him. Each city had its own architectural style and designs, Corusca was no different. It had sloping rooftops, rich floral gardens, squares occupied by shops and fountains, well-worn cobblestone roads and paths, and a thousand other things, each designed as well as, and sometimes better than, the last.

"What's on your mind, oh daydreaming King?" I asked, taking a seat beside Aeron.

"I am very young," he responded, looking over to me.

"Very observant of your own age, I see," I joked.

He chuckled. "I mean for a king," he clarified. "I am the youngest king since the line of L'itrien was implemented."

"What do you intend to do as king?"

"I do not know," he answered honestly. "Make things better. The Kunga have already, multiple times, voiced their confidence in me. Vissis promised to advise me whenever possible. But she is a Kunga. She can be gone for months at a time without a word of where she is off to. I often wonder if the Kunga go beyond our borders when they vanish from the light, Vissis especially."

"An intriguing thought," I said, remembering the conversation Aura and I had about what was beyond the borders. "But why would the Kunga being gone do anything to affect how you ruled. Do you intend to always do as you are told?" I asked.

"Of course not, but suggestions are more than welcomed."

"True."

"Vissis has been alive through every single king. Granted, she disappeared for the entire reign of one of them, during which time many presumed she was dead, which I now realize was a stupid thought. Her counsel is vital to me ruling well."

"Why," I asked again.

"You are really digging into this, aren't you?"

"Just trying to understand," I replied.

He nodded. "I have a memory unlike any other. I know everything about matters of rule. I sat in on more than a few of my father's councils, observed as he passed judgement, or instated new members to nobility. He rose the poor from their degradation, pardoned those he knew had done no wrong. He never made a mistake. How am I supposed to live up to that?"