Chapter 7: You Can't Hide It

It had been ten minutes, but still Jules was nowhere to be seen. Sarah had thought she had made herself clear. Obviously, there was no way that she could force Jules to share the information she had begun to show her already, but Sarah had at least expected a little bit more information on it.

After another five minutes Jules finally popped her head out around the door into the lunch room. Sarah met her eyes immediately.

Jules had been trying to be sly. Only a single brown eye looked at her, and it rolled immediately. Jules adjusted herself and stepped out from around the door, clutching the book from that morning close to her chest. Sarah wondered if she had even let herself put it down. She would ask.

Jules took her sweet time walking over to Sarah, who had a seat saved on either side of her specifically so that Jules would have a place to sit. She did not want to take chances. The table was mostly empty anyway. Some of her other friends had attempted to sit by her, but Sarah was adamant that she had to talk to Jules, and preferably alone.

Jane, the brown haired beauty as the cheer team called her, sat nearby for a few minutes, but Sarah refused to be conversational. Jane moved not long after. At the far end of the table sat a lonely boy, but Sarah was far enough away from him that it wouldn't make a difference.

"Are you not going to get any food?" Sarah asked Jules as she came within earshot.

"I'm not particularly hungry today," Jules replied.

"You? Not hungry?" Sarah asked with a smirk.

"I'm not a glutton, Sarah," Jules responded casually. "I simply like food...a lot."

"A lot!" Sarah emphasized.

"That's not important now anyway," Jules pointed out. "Ask your questions."

"Will you answer them?"

"You're deductive," Jules commented. "I could say a few words and you could probably figure everything out on your own."

"I am not that smart," Sarah humbly stated.

"Mhm, yeah, stop lying to yourself. I'm known as the brilliant one, but I know you better than you do."

"Fine," Sarah conceded.

"I repeat: Ask your questions."

"There are a few I thought of since this morning, but I want to know one first - "

"Where I got the book," Jules cut Sarah off, finishing her thought for her.

"Yes."

"Well, that depends on how you want to look at it," Jules explained.

"Meaning?"

"Meaning that, logically, if you think about it, the book itself is peculiar in its own right. I'm sure you noticed some things about it this morning."

"It's handwritten," Sarah said under her breath, remembering the drawings.

"Bingo," Jules commended.

"Which means what?"

"Which technically means the book shouldn't exist."

"What qualifier would make you think that the book shouldn't exist just because it is handwritten?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know how much I'll be able to tell you about that, honestly."

"Well, tell me what you can," Sarah said. She was becoming increasingly curious. A book that should not exist, by definition, would not exist.