Chapter 30: Born to be Mighty I

My parents thought that it would be such a great idea to pack two tents, which meant that I would get my own. My mother was so intent on spending family time on a camping trip, and yet she didn't even want me in the same tent. I dreaded the thought of what may be happening in the other tent. Kill me now.

Despite the fact that I had originally hated the idea of going on vacation, it was kind of nice to be away, though I already missed my friends at school. Apart from that, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something that I was forgetting, something that had been so deeply ingrained in me. What could that be?

I tried to think hard about what I was forgetting, but the harder I tried, the further away it seemed to slip. I felt saddened by it, and a feeling of loss washed over me. What had I lost that made me suddenly feel so broken?

"Korbin!" my mother called to me.

"Yeah, mom?" I replied.

"Come help your dad and I set up these tents."

"Okay, coming."

I shook off my thoughts, brushing away the tear that had formed in the corner of my eye. I didn't want my mom to see it and ask what was wrong. I knew I wouldn't be able to tell her. I didn't know.

I wasn't able to help much with setting up the tents. My dad did most of the work. I was too small to bend some of the supports and I couldn't reach the top. My dad just had me file the bendy things through the openings to keep the tents up.

My tent was smaller, but there was a tube that connected it to the main tent that my parents were in. I sat in mine on top of my sleeping bag. I searched through my bag to find a sweatshirt, because it was cold. I was wearing shorts, but it was only the top half of my body that felt cold.

My clothes were quickly thrown across the tent. I had no need for organization. My mother would probably come in soon and fold the all again for me anyway. She always did, except for the times she forced me to clean my own room, which was a frustrating time. I just wanted to play.

I finally found a sweatshirt that I didn't even know I had packed and threw it on. I quickly found out that I had put it on backwards. I grunted softly and laughed to myself before pulling in my arms and spinning it around.

I walked out of my partially unzipped tent, leaving it unzipped, and walked up to my parents, who had set up a small camp fire. My father had a grill grate that he had welded legs to and set it over the fire. There were three raw hamburgers he had clearly just put on the grate. They were quickly cooking over the hot fire, dripping fat and grease and fueling the fire.

"What do you think of this place?" my mom asked.

"I like it," I said, taking a seat by the fire and instinctively reaching out my hands. My sweatshirt was swiftly becoming a little too warm. I took it off and set it on the ground beside me.

"Are you excited to be camping?" dad asked, starting some small talk.

"I'm not sure. I've never been camping before."

"Well, now is a good time to start."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because it's not going to be the last time you do it."

"Oh no! How often are we going to do this?"

I knew my parents. When they felt something worked well, they would want to do it all the time. I don't know if I could handle that, but I guess I'd have to get used to it.